• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a really ragged 74 tii worth anything ?

scottt

Forgive my ignorance on tii matters, I've had a bunch of carb'ed versions including my current 73 but know little about tii's.

There is a tii for sale locally that has been parked in the woods for years, typical NE rust issues, rockers fenders etc., there is no way it could run. The interior is highly mildewed etc. I have no need for glass etc as I've parted plenty of these over the years.

The question is, are the injection pump, struts, rear trailing arms and clock etc worth $ 600 and the hassle to rent a trailer etc ?

Part it out, besides the engine and gearbox, keep the tii specific parts like the struts, brake booster with pedal box, fuel tank, fuel pump, rear trailing arms, etc...Others can speak up if I'm forgetting some parts. If you have the storage, by all means snag it, A tii for a few hundred bucks is a steal.

Take the sawzall to it and cut it up if it the rest of it looks as rusty as the front fenders. Make sure you cut the tii air cleaner tabs off the inner fender. Who knows, you may find a decent 02 shell to transplant all the tii parts into.

You may want to cut out the VIN on the fender but that may be illegal in your locality if you swap that into your clean shell.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I'd jump on this in a heartbeat if it was in CA. $500 is a great deal considering it is pretty complete. The front fenders look shot and I'm sure there's rust lurking elsewhere. I would have concerns with the k-pump and injectors since they've been sitting fro so long, but a nice bath is Sea Foam can do wonders.

The dash looks uncracked and I'd bet the sun didn't do much damage to the interior since it is sitting in a shady area under some big trees.

Question - What are the buttons on the center console? They look like buttons for electric windows? Power door locks?

Great buy! If anyone here buys it, please keep us posted.

post-1228-13667586425149_thumb.jpg

If it was local to me, I'd probably buy it. Look first, of course. Fenders aren't a big deal, but floors are probably shot (no go pedal usually means studs have bailed out). If towers in rear are rotten, I'd (try to) leave it and forget it. Especially if you are (currently, happily) married. 15K for a dry CA car restored, or 15K and two years later.....Dave V. in NC

I'm no expert, but I've owned 6 or 7 of these now and I haven't succumbed to tii fever, yet. My experience has shown that in this area of the country, cars with rotten rockers, doors, and fenders combined with extensive mold in the interior usually have had clogged firewall drains, thus rusting the heater box area out. It would only be worth parting out and I really don't need any of the parts myself.

Thanks for everybody's responses.