• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCAN of 36-40 PSDI SOLEX Instruction Sheet

i have the one for the 32/32 didta, i might add it there if you dont mind. There is two pages, one is an exploded view and the other is how to adjust choke, acc. pump and float level.

let me know.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Hello Guys,

I have one of the earlier BMW carb manuals scanned into PDF. I'll send it to Ben since it is around 5 megs and I have his email. Please feel free to share it.

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

• 6 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I have solex carb please help. I need to adjust it and i haven't been able to do it. please e-mail to frankiegomez95@yahoo.com.

• 1 year later...

Good carb explanations.... please read this if you want to learn

Ok, let's review this again (40 vs. 45) as it was recently brought up by the "other board" and was beautifully answered with a good explanation. Both the 40 and 45 mm carbs are the same if you use the same sized jets and chokes inside them. The only difference in the two is that the 40mm can accept chokes up to 36mm and the 45 DCOE can accept chokes up to 41mm. So just get the 45mm DCOE and you can do everything you could with the 40mm so why limit yourself to only 36mm chokes (you never know what the future will hold and you will appreciate it). The only reason to get a 40mm carb is if you needed really small chokes (under 30mm) as the 45mm carb does not handle such small chokes. I don't think you would ever be in this situation so get the 45mm carb!

So now you know that going with either carb size will not affect performance.... it's the jetting that does. The only note to make is the smaller 40mm carb can't get chokes bigger than 36mm as they will not fit inside it. As far as your particular situation, I would get the Lynx single DCOE setup as you still have the original pistons/compression in your engine. If you had high compression pistons than I would recommend you get the new Canon dual setup Steve K is selling on this website. You have the perfect setup for the Lynx manifold as I run it with 38mm chokes and other jetting that I can send you if you like. As Toby stated, the carbs are only a part of the team. You do not have the rest of the components necessary to run a dual carb setup optimally. If you were to go that route, you would just be pumping in a lot of gas and not getting the ideal performance from the 2 carbs. If you put the Lynx single DCOE setup on a stock or slightly modified engine you will get the same performance as you would with the dual setup. Only when you go all out (stage 2 mods) will the dual DCOE setup beat the Lynx. Trust me I have tried it all... 38/38, single Lynx, and Canon duals, diff cams, compression, etc. I found the best setup was yours as the mild cam complemented nicely with the Lynx manifold. I have no doubts in my mind that you will be happy with that setup as it is the best thing you can do with your current engine. Where are you located as I can let you try it out?

So in review... always get a 45mm carb over the 40mm as long as you are not planning on using it on a very small engine.

As far as carbs go, the 32/36 is a nice average carb for daily driving. The 38/38 is an improvement as it pumps in more gas but it is not ideal for the 2002. This carb was designed for a much larger engine (3L) and can not be tuned as the all perfect DCOE carbs. On the 2002 there will be a flat spot on acceleration that you either live with or run the carb rich. The DCOE can be infinitely adjusted with all the choke/jetting combinations so use these carbs if you can afford the 2 possible setups: As far as DCOE setups, go with the Lynx for stock or mildly modified engines as this is the ideal situation for these engines. You will get optimum performance out of it as it can be setup perfectly for any/your particular engine. If you have the infrastructure already set up to handle the duals (high compression, mild cam, etc) than go this route as you will get the most out of the carbs and have all out performance. Otherwise stick with the Lynx as you will be disappointed with the duals on a near stock engine.... I learned this the hard way. Bigger is not always better as you will just get poor gas mileage and not the optimum performance that you would expect for all the gas consumed (I get close to 30mpg out of my Lynx and get INCREDIBLE performance). Just my experiences.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Derek, you've got mail... KC sent me the manual a while back.

Uploading, uploading... there it is, OK send.... Enjoy!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

• 4 months later...

The pdf that I have only covers the '02 Solex 2-barrel DIDTA and E3-E9 chassis Zenith INAT carburetors.

The best tuning info I have seen for the 1-barrel PDSI carbs is in the factory blue binder repair manuals.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20