• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got some new wheels - now I need tire help (Please?)...

Kidasters

Well - I was successful on E-bay today. I was able to win some 4x100 Campagnolo wheels - 13 x 5-1/2J. So, here's my question - what tires to run?

I currently have the BMW alloy wheels (by the way - anybody want to buy some BMW alloy wheels? 13x5J) that have 165/80's. I would kind of like to go to a lower profile tire. My speedo already doesn't read right, because of the 3.91 LSD I installed last year. So - if the tire size messes with the speedo reading some more, not a big deal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

as for your speedo reading being off, find yourself a speedo from a '76 and install it in place of your 73's and your speedo will be correct again.

With 5.5" rims, you could go with a 205/60x13, but I'd ask around on the forum for individual experience with various brands as to rubbing, especially in front.

Good score on the Campys, incidentally...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm so excited about the campys...you have no idea.

Maybe I paid too much, but it seems worth it to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160201965816&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

I've thought about the speedo swap. But I don't like the crosshair face on the later speedo. I've actually thought about going to the silver gauges that the earlier cars had. Just think that looks neat. I bet North Hollywood Speedo would put the guts from a 76 with the face from an earlier speedo together for me....hmmmm......

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

very nice indeed!

but too bad they're for E21 320i .

As above - better hold on to what you have already

and turn these gems for a profit.

You want an offset of ET 29 ...33

dd11_1.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

C.D - Why wouldn't these work on a 2002? If you can get the offset right, it would seem that it wouldn't matter. 02'ers run 15" bottlecaps from E30's on their cars - and I would think that an E21 is even closer to a 2002 than an E30.

Please - enlighten me more.

Thanks,

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

" You are bidding on one set of four NEW OLD STOCK Campagnolo Elektron magnesium cast wheels, part number 40714. They are 5-1/2 x 13 inches with 19mm offset. The bolt pattern is 4 x 100mm "

mount One of your existing

tires on one of the new Campy rims.

Mount it on the car and drop it to the ground - you'll see instantly.

and another side note - consider only 2 bidders for these rims.

The 320i community maybe minuscule compared to the 02

group - and the 02 group voted - by not bidding on these rims

which are not optimal for 02's. THEY are still absolutely

gorgeous rims, new, with metal lug hole inserts ! -

all the right stuff except OFFSET

offset.gif

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected.

8852NG05.gif

offset.gif

Terms%201.gif

Terms%202.gif

OFFSET

The offset of a wheel is the measurement of the hub surface contact area in offset from the center

line of the overall rim width of the wheel. A wheel

whose hub surface contact area sits further towards

the outside of the wheel than the center line has a positive

offset. A wheel whose hub surface contact area sits further

towards the inside of the wheel than the centerline

has a negative offset

To determine the offset, the wheel must be measured

accurately using the following steps:

(1) measure the overall rim width of the wheel.

(2) measure the T dimension (Backspace), which is the

measurement from the hub surface contact area to the

outside of the inner rim.

(3) divide the overall rim width by 2 which gives you the

center line.

(4) subtract the center line (overall rim width/2) from the

T dimension (Backspace).

(5) a negative answer means the wheel has a negative

offset and a positive answer means the wheel has a positive offset

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

c.d. - you always have the best references

So - if I understand this correctly - with a 19mm positive offset, If I get a +/- 10 mm spacer and longer studs, I can get the campy's to the same offset as my current alloys (which I think are 26 mm positive offset).

If the Campy's are 19 mm negative offset, I'd have to put a huge spacer on there, and It would probably look so stupid that I wouldn't want to use them.

Or am I missing the point?

Thanks for the help as always.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

the lower the offset #, the more the wheels will stick out and more likely rub the fender. spacers don't add offset, they subtract it but pushing the mounting face closer to the center of the wheel and there by pushing the wheel out towards the fender. if you had a high offset wheel, like a modern ET40 you could use 10mm spacers to bring the offset down to 30.

now, that said, many of us run E21 wheels with no problems, BUT you WILL most likely get some rubbing on the inner front fender well (in front of the footwells) when you take tight, fast turns or do full lock turnarounds.

i ran 13x5.5" E21 basketweaves on my lowered 02 for a long time. i think they are ET18 offset as i recall. i had 205/60 sumitomos on them and would get rubbing as i mentioned. i've also had an 02 with the 13x5.5" ET18 320i turbine rims wheels with 185/70 tires on stock suspension and also had the same rubbing issues.

it's not that you can't run those wheels, it's how much fender rubbing you're willing to put up with.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

So - if I understand this correctly - with a 19mm positive offset, If I get a +/- 10 mm spacer and longer studs, I can get the campy's to the same offset as my current alloys (which I think are 26 mm positive offset).

Or am I missing the point?

Thanks for the help as always.

Ken

Yes, a 10mm spacer and longer lugs will get you where you want to be. Essentially, you're "building" your own 29mm offset. As for tire rubbing you never know until you try, but you may not want to run an especially wide tire for your rims.

Mike

74 2002