• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

running light?

2002john

I have 68 02 the front running lights come on with light switch in first position and shut off when second position is engaged (headlights on).

The rear taillights are on in both positions. Is this normal for a 68 02.

This is how my 68 2002 works and --according to my 1968 owner's handbook, this is by design...it looks like they are indeed "parking" lamps.

Ben

post-372-13667586515396_thumb.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

depending on what style head light your car is equipt with this is more than likely normal, if it is a dim 5 wat bulb that lights up with the parking lamps that is known asa city light and is on most of the euro cars. being a 68 it my have euro lights whtich would include a city light, very cool if you do have those lights. also you may have a hella light that also includes a city light, still cool but i do belive that the european lights fit the grilles better.

1971 1600-2

1974 2002_Turd

1993 525it

2003 325i

I remember looking at a Granada Red 1968 2002 and also noticed the front units had 2 bulbs. The car recently had newly painted fenders on it and front turn units were in the trunk, awaiting to be put on. , took a look at them and noticed the 2 bulb system. With one bulb though, it seems strange that the parking lamp would go out when the knob is pulled out to the headlight setting. If it's usual for other '68 2002 owners, it must be normal then. I sold the '68 2000ti I had back then so I didn't really look into it.

Tim

'69 2000

(series I) are set up the same way - I wanted the parking lights on as running lights along with the headlights, but didn't want to lose the parking light function with the headlights off.

The solution was to move the lead for the parking light circuit to the tail light circuit - the actual process was to unplug the tail light lead, plug a short wire with spade clips on both ends into the tail light terminal and an insulated VW bug "2 into 1" spade coupler, then plug both the tail light and parking light leads into the coupler.

Works great, and easy to return to stock configuration if desired.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)