• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedo question...

VenturaTii

Speedo needle is all over the place bouncing around and does not go to 0mph when car is off or stopped. Odometer seems to work fine I work ~8 miles from home and it said 7.7 mi. after I gas near work. With all of the bouncing against the stop the needle broke off. I guess I need to get a New (used) speedo to replace ot fix the needle if possible. From what I have read it doesn't seem too difficult to remove the Cluster...yes?

Does any one have a cluster for sale? I asked in Parts too. Can you just replace the needle?

TIA,

Mike

Gretchen - 1974 Chamonix 2002 Tii: 5spd, Bilsteins, H&R Springs & IE Poly Suspension Bushings, Pierre Front Air Dam, Hella Driving Lights, Blaupunkt Stereo, MB Quart Speakers, Parker Gauge Cluster.

Guest Anonymous

The speedometer is not too difficult to replace. Remove the underdash panels to gain access to the two knurled nuts holding the cluster in place. Remove them as well as the speedo cable and the electrical connectors to the cluster. Removing the steering wheel may be necessary to remove the cluster.

It sounds like your speedometer cable needs to be lubed. If that doesn't work you may need a new cable.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

If the speedo cable is old, go for that first as Sherman said.

There are a couple of different speedos out there that are calibrated to whichever diff was in the car. It can make a difference in having true readings or not. Some people have had good luck in repairing speedos and odos. One thing to consider is that these mechanical units are 30 plus years old. You may get lucky and fix it, or you may just move the gremlins around. Swapping in another used unit may solve the problem but there is always the chance that it, too, may fail.

North Hollywood Speedo will do a rebuild/recal of the speedo/odo for about $140 or so. Cost is more than what a used one would run, but at least you'd have some sort of guarantee that the replacement would be accuate and reliable.

That said, I need to get off my ass and send my spare speedo to them and get it rebuilt so I can once again have a real working speedo/odo besides the bicycle unit I installed on my car.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Don't just replace the needle.

I had the same problem and result on my tii about a hunnert years ago,

I'll second the NH Speedometer recommendation. They have a website, too.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

sounds like I would need a spare cluster either way. How hard is it to replace the speedo cable? My car does have a 5 speed.

Gretchen - 1974 Chamonix 2002 Tii: 5spd, Bilsteins, H&R Springs & IE Poly Suspension Bushings, Pierre Front Air Dam, Hella Driving Lights, Blaupunkt Stereo, MB Quart Speakers, Parker Gauge Cluster.

That said, I need to get off my ass and send my spare speedo to them and get it rebuilt so I can once again have a real working speedo/odo besides the bicycle unit I installed on my car.

You mean we weren't really going 95 mph on Quien Sabe Rd.?

f166efad.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Hi Mike,

You need a longer speedo cable probably from a 320 or if you know where the transmission came from that would tell you as well.

1971 2002 Riviera Sunday Church car

1972 2002 Golf Euro, need anything?

1964 VW Beetle, Ya, Deutschland

1984 Toyota Truck-Ol Faithful!

1999 Nissan Altima, need ac sometimes

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/mpost93167/71%202002%20riviera/

The cable looks too long to me (at least) you can see it from underneath the car (a big bend). It did work fine before (no bounce) but was off by 15-20 mph at higher speeds. I knew this from being paced by my Wife's car when I got it.