• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 years of 02 driving

gracer

This month marks 40 years of driving BMW 02's. I was lucky to find a 67 1602 that was the dealers demo as all the 2002's were sold. I had been driving mid 50's Fords untill then. I couldn't believe how great the BMW was to drive. I could make better time over the mountain passes and saved a ton of gas money. I still drive my TII to and from work and enjoy driving it as much as my 98 M3/4. I know that Mike Self will make the 40 mark and pray that the rest of you will also. G

I know exactly what you are talking about, I am still driving my original 2002 purchased in 1974. I too find myself spending more time in my 02 on a daily basis than my 02 M Roadster. I am on my fourth engine and the drive train has been replaced with a 5 spd etc over the years, a direct result of 800K miles of driving.

Drive on

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Ok I have only had my 02 for, well 2 years. Most of the time I was restoring her; however I did have a 98 M3/4 that I sold and I agree it is as much fun if not more than the M3 because of the looks and thumbs up I get. Oh and I can work on it myself do performance upgrades etc..

22 years and counting for me. I bought my first one when I was a sophmore in H.S. 2k for a '68. Polaris over black with a sunroof and rear defrost. Neat car.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Bought my first BMW, a 67 1602, in 1971. Then bought my 74 new and am still driving it. So that makes 33.5 years of 02'ling. Just put in a Metric Mechanic 2400 Rally engine and 5 speed so I've got an even bigger grin on my face.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Well,

My dad's '74 Sahara 02 was the first car that I learned to drive in, and shortly afterwards it became my somewhat regular ride in HS. That was only 1986, so that makes it just shy of 22 years with a 15 year interim between that car and my '73tii. Nothing really compares for the fun component, the lingering looks and the fact that they're so easy to work on. Plus, there's a pretty cool bunch of folks that share the same sickness, er habit-oh I mean frothing at the mouth passion for these little wunderbar wagens...

Wendell

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

December saw my 35th '02versary, and it was only two weeks after I got my '69 1600-2 that I spent Christmas night at a gas station putting the gear selector pin back in after getting stuck with no gears and finding this little pin under the car.

I'm closer to Gordon with Nurburgring schools, as he'll celebrate 34 years for him this summer, and 33 for me. Gordon has won a a championship with an '02 a little more recently.