• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Please-door lock stuck locked

jgmgti

Yesterday as I shut my door I heaerd something fall....checked around everthing worked well and seemed fine.

Today go to lock the car and the key turns left and right no resistance .

and it is now.... stuck in the locked position.I can't get my door to unlock same for the the inside handle won't do it either.

The key is not stuck.

*Hope the faq family has some good advice......please

It's going to get old entering and exiting via the passenger door.

The blue manual,Clymers,and Haynes have no answers......

Thanks

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

your gana have to pull the door panel to get to th

e lock assembly

Thanks and then what's next?

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

Ew- that blows.

Getting the panel off with the door locked means you get to pull the seat.

Then, I'm a bit confused. If the inside handle won't open it,

the latch mechanism's come apart- probably part of the latch release...

but from memory, I can't think of one piece that would make it

stay SHUT.

Honestly, I'd get a spare door latch (inside the door) and take a look at it.

Then get yours apart, and be ready to swap the whole kaboodle.

It's not very servicable, anyhow. You'll want a big Phillips bit...

sorry, not much help....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the info. More work than I hoped for.Really a drag with 2 week old NOS door panels.Might have been preventable.

Read Zenon(sp)great write up.

So renew the entire assembly is really the deal?I could live with door "stuck" open.Very rare for me to lock.

Why make the urchins bust windows to steal nothing......

Jonathan

Do u feel any resistance when u pull the inner handle? I can't think of how they would fail that way either.

Is the door completely closed/double latched? If not, close it.

I'd yank on the (inner) door handle again and give the door a shove.

But maybe you have already!

Good luck!

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ray,

Minimal reistance from the inside,when I pull the inner door handle,I can hear a click and feels like something is almost hitting.

Never delt with 02 locks..........mystery to me.

Thanks

Jonathan

They may be able to snag something if they know what they are looking for on the latch.

If not, you may be into pulling both seats and the brand new door panel.

Come up and take a look at P2, the door panels are still off.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Hi Jonathan!

This may be a dumb thought, but have you tried to "lift" the lock button on top of the inner panel (with rubber tipped needle nose pliers, etc.)? It may be a long shot, but I didn't see anyone else suggest that.

It's going to be tough to remove the door panel with the door closed, even without the seat in place.

Before I went that route, assuming my suggestion above doesn't do anything, I believe I'd roll down the window and remove the horizontal trim piece with squeegie and try to unlock the mechanism from the top side (use a long screwdriver, or such).

Just a couple of my random thoughts... :-)

Good Luck,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Call your bank and see if you can find out who does their repos. Those guys (gals?) could probably get in in about 30 sec. Or, drive to a seedy part of town and inquire as to who could do what you want -namely, open your locked door. Again, the right person can proably get in in 30 sec. or less.

Bob Napier

Hi Jonathan!

This may be a dumb thought, but have you tried to "lift" the lock button on top of the inner panel (with rubber tipped needle nose pliers, etc.)? It may be a long shot, but I didn't see anyone else suggest that.

It's going to be tough to remove the door panel with the door closed, even without the seat in place.

Before I went that route, assuming my suggestion above doesn't do anything, I believe I'd roll down the window and remove the horizontal trim piece with squeegie and try to unlock the mechanism from the top side (use a long screwdriver, or such).

Just a couple of my random thoughts... :-)

Good Luck,

John

Thanks John...tried pulling the door lock up,no go.The trim removal and screwdriver from the out side does seem like a good idea??

I'll give it a go.

Thanks for taking the time to resond even after you situation with the fire.

Jonathan

Thanks for the kind words Bill.Going to get moving on it this A.M.

I do hoiwever like the slim jim route to gain access.

Jonathan

Jonathan - emailed you offline. Bring car by. I have a Sawzall. That'll do it. You might convince me to take a more civilized approach, but I doubt it. Nothing beats a Sawzall and the Jaws of Life.

Bill -- Jonathan's bringing the car by. Are you available for telephone consultation in case we screw up? Email me offline at davidbowen5828 at comcast dot net.

The first day I bought my car - I had owned it for about 30 minutes, I locked the door, and the headlights were on. And the key got stuck in the door. This was the normal messed up door latch problem that 02's have. The fix can be found here:

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/bmvseite/

Go to "Tech" and then 'Unsticking/re-keying sticky door locks". I've gone through this procedure, and the door works like a champ now.

But - to break into my car, when the key was stuck in the door lock. After getting in on the passenger side (which was also a zoo), we ended up bending the crap out of the chrome trim piece at the top of the door (I ended up ordering a new one from Maximillian, p/n 51216440181 - that thing is stupid expensive), and got access to the inside of the door. Then, just grabbed the latch release with a big long hook and pulled. You might be able to do the same with a slim-jim, but we didn't have one available.

Good Luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.