• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Please-door lock stuck locked

jgmgti

The key, inside button, and door handle all

actuate the latch in different ways-

that makes me think, if all 3 worked before, that

there is probably a bigger problem.

The door latch is kind of a folded- together Rube- Roldberg

mechanism. It's OK for the first 15 years of any 2002's life,

but it's not designed to last for eons, like (traditional) Mercedes stuff is.

I'm afraid that it's suffered a catastrophic latch release failure...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Call me if you need me, Fric has the number.

Your e-mail address bounced back to me.

In this not so clear picture you can see the lever you need to rotate, assuming the latch mechanism is still functioning.

Doorlock6.jpg

I don't know the best words to explain, maybe others can use better words.

In the picture, taken standing on the inside of the door, from above the window, looking down into the door.

The shiniest silver thing you see is a lever that needs to be moved towards your naval or hooter, depending how tall you are, if you were standing where I was when I took the picture. Another way said, if you were looking at the door mechanism from the jam side of the door, with the door open, on your knees and your nose at eye level to the mechanism, you would move the lever in a clockwise direction.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

FIXED FIXED.....thank goodness David had the sawzall and and tow chain and his friends cherry picker did the trick.

David you saved the day! Pulled the door panel and and found the tiny little bavarian 36 year old rat holding the latch,David shot the varmit ..it was a breeze from there.

And get this two girls doing a pole dance for inspiration. Only made sense latter...........

*Earlier at home I took the inner door handle off and re-positioned it,wahlaa,the door now opens and closes.

Turned out to be a little of BMWs sound deadening material had dislodged itself in the locks linkage.Lubed and a little waxoyl then the fun of putting it back together.

David and so many others make 2002 ownership great.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Thanks to everybody who gave advice and offered help!

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

It was a beautiful day to be working on the car, but nicer to be out for a drive than for doing unscheduled maintenance!

Juanita's covered in soot from following my neighbor's '70 911 on a blast through western Loudoun County.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

John still managed to get in a 70 mile drive out to Louden county to visit a buddy who has built an unreal MKI 76 Golf with 220h.p. at the wheels.TWM Throttlebodies,2.0aba block and lots o tricks.

0-100 mph....damn fast,on my old gold BBS wheels.

Made my tii feel like slowww but civilized,so I can't burn rubber in third gear?

*Hope to see you and Juanita at Carpool on the 12th.*

Give a call when you have a minute.

Jonathan