• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New tii concept and Rahal's 02 shown at Chicago...

Lars

So If I'm reading this right, this will be a Rahal-Letterman BMW factory backed program? GT2 class? There was some BMW ALMS activity in '06, but only privateer, and that might have only been exhibition as I recall.

I think BMW got out of ALMS because they didn't see any competition anymore, and the officials kept changing the rules to make BMW less a dominating figure. I guess that preception has changed.

I'll hold off on bying Flying Lizard gear for the season.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

BMW got out of ALMS after the V8-powered e36 M3's (M3 GTR) spanked the P-cars so bad that Porsche lobbied to have the V8-flavored M3s banned from ALMS (not that the Porsche was exactly a street-version either). These M3 GTR's were great, they spit out gobs of flame under deceleration, which was quite a sight at Sebring at dusk.

Ian

'76 M2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Don Dethlefsen's The Werk Shop -

BMW Restorations Registry : "Rahal" Gallery - Bobby Rahal's 1972 BMW 2002tii Pictures: http://www.thewerkshop.net/registry/viewGallery.asp?g=7

"Rahal" Complete Restoration / Registry # 9

Owner : Bobby Rahal

Year/Model : 1972 BMW 2002tii (VIN # : 2761646)

Project End Date : 9/2/2003

About this restoration : Bobby Rahal, an Indianapolis 500 Winner and owner of "Team Rahal" was given an Inka 2002tii when he went off to college. He told me he drove the car very aggressively and upon graudation convinced his parents to send him to two driving schools as he thought his experiences in the 02 might have given him the basis to be a race car driver. As we all know, the rest is history. Bobby wanted to duplicate that Inka 02 and asked us to find a 1972 donor and build him the exact car. Since his original car was stock, the duplicate car is also stock with its original 4-speed transmission. Bobby says the car seems faster than he remembers! The Columbus, Ohio area is where you'll see this tii.

--> 1968 2002 <--

If it wasn't for a little to much greed, Bobby could have had his actual '72 Inka Tii in his collection right now. Instead, one of the FAQ contributors is painstakingly conserving and preserving it. Soon it should be attending some '02 events........................ I can't wait.

mac.