• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My heart is broken...

JohnC

Driving to work this morning, a young HS girl makes a left right in front of me. If she didn't hear my skidding and horn, she wouldn't have even seen me until the collision! I have no idea what she was looking at. She certainly wasn't looking at oncoming traffic!

Everyone's OK. After my initial outrage, I felt really sorry for her. She was really upset.

It's already at Bob's in Pasadena, who did the paint work. Brett, the owner chuckled and said I won't be driving this for a while.

It's been three hours, and I'm over it now. There's got to be some deep message in this. I just finished the car in October. Maybe I need to drive a "normal" car every day...

post-2253-13667586967732_thumb.jpg

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

John,

Sorry to hear your baby's been hurt. It's truly a gut-wrenching feeling.

I wouldn't doubt the other driver was on their cell or even texting - possibly explaining her lack of attention to oncoming traffic... Sadly that kind of "multiplexing" is all too common nowadays.

Hope you get it back on the road quickly.

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

OUCH!!!

I am soooo sorry to see that John. I know how much you enjoyed that car. I hope they can get it right back the way it was, which was beautiful. These cars are too much fun to drive to leave them in the garage. I guess the "LoMiles Tii" gets to play again. She wasn't on her cell phone or texting her "BF", or changing I-pod, or doing her make-up, or eating breakfast, or setting her GPS while trying to turn, was she? (I see Tom and I, think alike)

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

i think i'd be nauseous after something like that happened.

well, if there's a bright side to this.....

.......at least it didn't happen to your low mileage, snorkel-less tii

she'll be made whole again. bummer.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Some time ago, got rear ended while stopped at a light. It was low speed contact. The driver of the SUV who love tapped my trunk, assured me "it's nothing", besides "those cars are great." I gestured for her to pull off to the side because of the heavy traffic. I pulled over, she took off on the freeway. Tags were not visible.

My voice has never recovered from that day. No matter what you drive - no sane person enjoys getting their car damaged. I currently have my eyes open for a daily driver that has Caterpillar embossed on the front grille.

I feel your pain.

1. You're OK (as is the inattentive young lady who hit you)

2. At least the driving lights survived.

3. It can be fixed, and on someone else's dime

4. It's the daily risk we all take when we use '02s as daily drivers...at least up here in salt country '02s die in two ways--all at once in an accident, or one rust flake at a time...but they're waaaaay too much fun to leave at home. At least we can shield 'em from the salt, if not from the bad drivers.

My sympathies

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Recent "Good Times" with the 70 Granada 02. I am sure there will be more in the future.

You bet Steve! I doubt it will be ready for Palo Alto, but that just gives me a good reason to bring the tii again!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll have to go to the body shop and take my recaros out and put them in the tii again...

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Kinda brings that saying to mind:

It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

In FAQ speak that would be: It is better to have driven the wheels off of a 2002 than to be so scared of damage that it languishes in a garage.

My tii got crunched. Some people just do stupid stuff on the road with no idea what the concequenses of their actions could be. The other driver is lucky I was in a little 2002 and not driving a fully loaded rig.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

John,

Sorry to hear about your car. Glad everyone is ok. Where did you take the car to? Can you forward that info for me. I had mine about 10 days ago and might need somebody that is really knowledgeable on these car to take a look.

Thanks,

Le

dracoruno@gmail.com

Wow that sucks John, it always happens when you get your car to right where you want it to be. I was actually in Sierra Madre today (did the Mt. Wilson trail hike) and had my eyes peeled for any 2002's because I knew it would probably be you. I had my inka parked in front of St. Rita's on Baldwin. You'll be back in it soon, meanwhile put more miles on that tii. Oh, by the way, I may have a spare shorty front bumper that would need to be refinished, but overall pretty straight, I'll keep you posted.