• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter connections SR71x

PeterVarga

21 minutes ago, John76 said:

f your car has electronic ignition module (e.g., Pertronix), the resistor wire is not needed, and often replaced (or supplemented) with a straight wire.

John

Or a bosch blue coil it needs no resistor.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks for the insight.  My car had an MSD box added at some point.  It is currently disconnected and the car is running a straight setup with a Bosch coil.  As far as I can tell, there is simply a straight wire running to the coil from the fuse box.  What does the .9 ohm resistance do for me?  Obviously it was put in for a reason.  Is is bad to run without it?

image.png.1ba5456e903d11e1f1e09382e9a376b0.png

It looks like you've got a Pertronix installed.  The original Pertronix requires 3 ohms of resistance, but the newest offerings can tolerate less; so the answer depends on which style you have.  

Bosch coils aren't painted anymore, so it isn't as easy to tell them apart.  The "blue" coils have ~3ohms of resistance built in, so they do not require external resistors.  Black and red coils need them if you're running points/condenser, or the early style Pertronix.  You could test the primary resistance of your coil and peek under the cap to see which style Pertronix you have.

person testing primary circuit

Step 4: Test the ignition coil’s primary ignition circuit. Ignition coils have two circuits that need to be checked: the primary and secondary ignition circuit.

Connect the positive and negative leads of your multimeter to the positive and negative terminals of your ignition coil. 

• Like 1

OK.  I have two coils that came with the car.  An MSD coil and a brand new Bosch coil..  I measure the resistance of both.  The MSD coil shows a resistance of ~0.9 ohms and the Bosch coil shows a resistance of ~1.9 ohms.  Not sure how new the distributor is but it seems pretty recent.  Based on that, it would seem that I do not need the restore wire?

IMG_1400.jpg.2067058a01f95efc966f434870822837.jpg

It depends on which electronic ignition module you have in that distributor.  If it is an aftermarket Ireland Engineering distributor, their module requires three ohms of resistance.  If it is a Bosch distributor (or IE) with a Pertronix brand module, it depends on which model.  I think the Pertronix I and II require three ohms, but the newer Pertronix III can tolerate less.

Okay, I looked up the Pertronix requirements and I was wrong.  The Pertronix II doesn't require 3 ohms and this says the Pertronix I only needs 1.9 ohms.  I guess I don't know much.

What is the difference in PerTronix Ignitor and Ignitor II?

The Ignitor should be used with coils of 1.5-ohm resistance or greater, while the Ignitor II can benefit from higher-powered, super-low-resistance coils. 

58 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Ignitor II can benefit from higher-powered, super-low-resistance coils. 

I by-passed the resistor wire on my '76 when I installed the PerTronix Ignitor II but kept the original Bosch 1.9-ohm coil.

Just changed to a 0.6-ohm coil as recommended by PerTronix. 45kv to spark plugs...I can shoot down weather balloons!

Ignitor II can use as low as 0.45-ohm or greater coil.

BTW: Ignitor II and III have "adaptive dwell" which works best with super low resistance coils.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff McGinn said:

No idea what kind of distributor I'm dealing with.  I took a picture of the only markings on the thing.  Recognize it?

IMG_1401.thumb.jpg.03810aa3d61feb1760d0328857b4becb.jpg

That's a factory BMW distributor.

You need to remove the distributor cap and look inside at the part with the red and black wires connected to it.

Yeah, that’s the replacement ti/tii mech-only dizzy (188 002).

That’s not a PerTronix, but some other brand of hall-effect electronic ignition…

Wasn't expecting ignition Qs in a Starter thread.  lol

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com