• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights don't go off...

valentine02

Hey everyone,

I just opened a user account and I'm kind of new at this, so go easy on me....I just bought a '71 2002 (my first 02 - paid $900) and it certainly needs a lot of TLC. One of the first things I noticed right away was that the headlights will not turn off. The parking and tail lights go off, but the headlights stay on.....any suggestions? I'd like to drive the car at night some day!!

My buddy turned me on to this site and it seems like a really cool community with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Any help you guys can give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Austin in Santa Barbara

post-9535-13667587108862_thumb.jpg

Austin

Santa Barbara, CA

As far as the headlights staying on, I would suspect the switch.

That circuit works by the switch connecting the "hot" through the headlight to a ground. So, take the gauge cluster out of the dash and with a DVM, see if the switch is "making and breaking".

If you need help in doing that or if you get the results of that test, post back and we will scratch our heads again together.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

neither the high nor low beams are fused. This pretty well narrows the culprit down to either the headlight switch next to the instrument cluster, or the high/low beam dimmer switch on the steering column's left side.

The main headlight switch may be broken internally, allowing current flow regardless of switch position,

Or the dimmer switch may be broken internally. It has a hot lead that allows you to flash the high beams whether the headlights or on or not. If that switch is defective, you could be getting a current backflow into the headlight switch, allowing it to have +12v all the time.

If your '71 has a VIN beginning with 257xxxx and has twelve fuses, fuses 3 & 4 are for ;your lowbeams the high beams are unfused.

All the above presupposes a PO hasn't jiggered your wiring...

good luck

mike

PS--welcome to 02 ownership.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I know it's been a while....what can I say, I've got a day job and I'll just come right out and say it: I don't really know what I'm doing.

So I checked the headlight switch with the DVM as you suggested. I was basically looking for 12v when the switch is in the OFF position, right? I have the wiring diagram for 02s, but like I mentioned previously.....hard for me to tell exactly what I'm doing.

Let me cut to the chase. After carefully labeling and removing ALL connections to the headlight switch, the headlights stay on. Does this mean the switch has nothing to do with the problem? Perhaps the PO did some funky wiring and (for whatever reason) the headlights are getting 12v ALL THE TIME when the plugs are connected to the back of the lamps?

I'm a little lost on this one now and sure could use a little more help. Thanks for being patient with me, I realize I probably come off as a little incompetent.

By the way, I did notice a little scortching on the paper surrounding the spades on the back of the switch. It does look like the switch itself may indeed have some sort of issue.

thanks in advance

Austin

Santa Barbara, CA

Austin, E-mail me through the FAQ. I could come by and look at it if you want. Of course, I'm no "expert" but I have lived with these cars for years, and might spot something.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours