• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauge Cluster Customization

Kidasters

Well - I've decided to customize my gauge cluster. Partially because I've always thought the clusters from the earlier cars (pre 71) looked pretty neat. Partially inspired by the Alpina cluster in Bill Williams' P2. Partially because I just like to do something different.

So - purchased a cluster from a 1970 2002 on e-bay. Speedo needle is broken, but that's OK. I was going to send it off to get re-calibrated for my 3.91 LSD anyway.

So - here's the starting point. I'm probably going to send my gauges to PASpeedo and have them do the following:

1) Re-condition all of the gauge faces.

2) Fix the speedo needle

3) Straighten the tach needle

4) Re-set the odometer mileage.

5) Calibrate the speedo to the current rear-end.

6) Paint the silver centers in my gauges Fjord, to match my body color.

Additionally - I'm going to try and recondition the rest of the gauge cluster myself. So, I'll re-paint the inside flat white, re-paint the outer housing a semi-gloss black, and paint the exterior gauge trim rings Fjord (again, to match body color). Here are the before pictures. I'll update as things get cleaned up.

Ken

post-2706-1366758735178_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667587352996_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

OK -

Here's the start. Primed and painted the trim rings, and painted the inside of the box flat white. Now - waiting for it to dry.

I'm going to box up all the instruments and ship them to Palo Alto Speedometer this weekend.

Ken

post-2706-13667587362146_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667587363284_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667587364289_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667587365307_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

looks good ken. i did a similar process on mine but used a silver on the rings. i painted the inside white and put all new bulbs in it. it looks much better but im still not thrilled with the light coming off my gauges. guys have tried LEDs with varied success. what are you planning for bulbs?

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

It's not as cool as Harv's Colorado engine block (or Colorado Lawn Mower), but I really like it.

As for lighting - against the better judgement of a lot of people on this board, I bought some PIAA SuperWhite bulbs from Bavarian Autosport. The light is more white/blue than yellow, and I really like it. I know a lot of people say that they get too hot and will melt things, but I don't turn them up to "full power" when I use them. I've had them in the car for a few months now. I'll let you know if I see melt marks when I pull the old gauges for the swap.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Well -

Painted the box exterior last night, and let it dry all night. Because I'm psycho, I snapped the rings and glass in this morning. Here's the finished product. I'm sending the gauges to PASpeedo today, and hopefully Hartmut will have them back in 1 to 3 weeks....

I've also attached some "Before" pictures.

post-2706-13667587379183_thumb.jpg

post-2706-1366758740699_thumb.jpg

post-2706-13667587407724_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Well - I know my gauges were delivered. I got an e-mail from Hartmut on the 10th (1 week ago) saying he received them, and hadn't gotten a chance to look at them.

He said way back when that turn-around time may be up to 3 weeks. It's been one....

Seems like I'm always waiting....

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call from PA Speedo today. They gave me a quote for all of the work (Speedometer rebuild, set to ZERO, paint center plate, calibrate $175.00. Painting of the two other plates the custom color $65.00. New tachometer pointer $25.00.). Start work tomorrow, and hope to be done by Friday. If all goes well, I will have my gauges by the week of the 14th.

We'll see. Maybe some updates by 4/21.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
OK -

Here's the start. Primed and painted the trim rings, and painted the inside of the box flat white. Now - waiting for it to dry.

Ken

Ken, how is the paint on the trim rings holding ? I've heard people saying that it doesn't stick very well to the plastic ?

Thanks.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Well - it's coming up on a year later, and I am having no problems. I feel like I used a good primer (automotive primer) as well as good paint (again - automotive paint) - and they are in a spot where there is really no good reason to touch them.

Both paint and primer are Dupli-Color, bought from the O-Reilly's down the street.

Later,

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 3 months later...