• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior Rejuvination

Winters in Vermont are long and boring if your a 2002 fan. I usually park my '74 2002 in the garage around November, then it hibernates until mud season is over with. So far this has ensured that it doesn't become one with the earth once again. I decided this year, after reading all of your posts on the amazing things you guys have done, that I would start the one thing that really needed work on my 2002. That was the interior.

I had already completed a few small things on the inside of my car, but was not really pleased with the overall look. I had installed the rear seats from a 6 series car in the back and the front seats from a Honda CRX. I also had a leather wrapped steering wheel, no idea the make. The things that bothered me were the carpet, headliner, dash, the rubber seals and still those CRX front seats. The carpet was out of an automatic and was a one piece molded job. It just didn't fit well at all. The headliner was very stained and the headliner piece was just not there at all. The dash was cracked pretty badly. The CRX seats are very comfortable, and they were nearly the same color as the blue seats from the 6 series, but the were torn on the drivers side bolsters and the foam was falling apart. I figured since I was doing all of this, I might as well do it right and replace the seals at the same time.

I already had a new headliner that I was hoping to get put in, but after reading some posts here decided that I would give it a try myself. I got all new seals from Walloth and Nesch, and found some really cool seats on ebay.

The seats are these:

Newfrontseatsside.jpg

Newfrontseatsfront.jpg

They are out of a Z3 M car and are heated and powered. I am going to try and hook up both of these when I put them in.

Next I would start stripping the interior, more pics later.

Thanks guys,

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so the interior has been stripped of its old headliner, dash, and carpet. I cleaned it up a little and sent the car to have some paint work done. The last guy who painted my car didn't pull the glass or seals out when he did it, so now you would see all of this. Thats where it sits currently, so here are some pics of the progress:

Strippedinteriorfrontview.jpg

Strippedinteriorrearview.jpg

rustyunderside.jpg

Interiorstrippedfrontseat.jpg

SiteNamecopy.jpg

And here are some of the shop pics. The last body guy filled my molding holes with plastic filler. That is all being redone, plus some bubbling on the rear wheel arches and rockers is being taken care of along with all of the places where the glass goes.

PassengersideatFrans.jpg

PassengersiderearquarteratFrans.jpg

DriverssideatFrans.jpg

Hopefully the paint stuff will be soon so I can get that new headliner in!

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So a quick update on things. My car is still not out of the paint shop, but I have received some parts. I have a new carpet from Chris Willette at Only02 and am almost done with the new gauge surround that I am making out of maple. Only a few more coats of urethane.

Here are the pics of the surround compared to the stock plastic one:

Oldandnewgaugesurroundbirdseye.jpg

Oldandnewgaugesurround.jpg

Thanks again for looking and I hope to start on the headliner soon,

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yay!

I called up my bodyman this past Monday and he assured me that the car would finally be finished next week. It has been almost 5 months since I left the car at his shop. I am getting super excited. I can finally get the stuff put in and get the car on the road again. I would love to get it finished for V@V, but I don't think that that is a reasonable thing to think will happen. You never know though, maybe I will get lucky.

Hopefully I will post more pics of my progress soon,

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Looks good man.

I have a few questions though. Are you going with the shaved belt line trim? It looks really clean without it and I am curious about what a completed car looks like with no trim.

Also, how low do those CRX seats sit? I have some late model Prelude seats right now but they sit a bit high for me.

Thanks!

Yea, I am keeping the beltline trim off. I had it off before I started this whole deal and I really like how it looks.

This is what it looked like before I started ripping it apart:

Newshoesfront.jpg

The CRX seats sit a bit higher than the stock ones. I am 6'2" and if I sit straight up my hair just barely touches the headliner.

Thanks for looking and I will post more new paint pics a little later today.

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got the ok to go and pick the car up tomorrow. Was starting to get a little annoyed as the car has been there for so long. Definately will be worth the wait though as it was actually done right this time.

I also decided to paint the B-pillar pieces flat black to give it a different look. I think it will look pretty good.

New pics will be up tomorrow after I pick it up.

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

how much did paint run you? i will need a spray at the end of this summer and i wanted to know some quick prices before i start searching.

This time around it will end up being a little over 6 grand. Ouch that hurts!

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Car is finally back home! I picked it up and it really looks great. It went from just fixing up a couple of rust spots to a full respray. Definitely worth it though.

Some pics of the car back home:

BackHome.jpg

BackHomecloseup.jpg

BackHomerear.jpg

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg