• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior Rejuvination

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got alot done yesterday. I got the dash in, and all of the wiring for the front seats. I also got the two quarterlight windows and their seals in. The carpet even started getting glued down last night. This afternoon the windshield and rear glass got installed. I am feeling that the end is near. Can't wait to drive this thing again!

BlackB-Pillar.jpg

MapleClusterin.jpg

FrontGlassin.jpg

Startingthecarpet.jpg

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

looks great so far, i can only hope my carpet looks as nice as yours once its in.

one suggestion: duct tape will release after it gets wet a few times, and it tends to melt in heat. I'd go over your seals with either caulk on the inside, or possibly aluminum tape on the outside (for the moisture barrier in the doors, that is)

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

looks great so far, i can only hope my carpet looks as nice as yours once its in.

one suggestion: duct tape will release after it gets wet a few times, and it tends to melt in heat. I'd go over your seals with either caulk on the inside, or possibly aluminum tape on the outside (for the moisture barrier in the doors, that is)

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I will definately make sure to do that.

By the way, thank you so much for your write-up on the headliner in your blog. I don't think I would have been able to put it in without it.

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

So I went on a rampage of putting the car back together this morning. I got the driver's side essentially finished up. Turned out even better than I had imagined. Now I just have to get my audio guy to come up and straighten out that section of the car, and I need to get my sunroof in. After that I can finally drive the car!

DriversSidedone2.jpg

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Started building the rear strut bar today. I got the tray that the battery will sit in and the bar across the two towers built. Unfortunately I ran out of welding gas today, so I couldn't finish it up. Here are the pics of how far I am so far:

BarandTrayseperate2.jpg

HalfwayDone2.jpg

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since my last update and I have done alot since then too. I finished building and installing the rear strut bar and have finished the carpet. I am so close to driving the car now, I really can't wait. I just need seatbelts to be legal again. After I had installed the strut bar the car wouldn't start. I was being dumb and had forgotten the ground for the block. I hooked a set of jumpers from the block to one of the big bumper bolts and the car started right up.

Here is the strut bar finished and installed:

RearStrutbardone.jpg

and this is the carpet installed:

PassengerSidecarpetin.jpg

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the seatbelts and have finally been driving the car around a little. I got seatbelts for a E-28. Not a direct bolt in, but happened to fit very nicely with the M seats. Hopefully will finish it soon, but I have been pretty busy. next thing is the center console out of the same maple as the gauge cluster surround.

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Congrats on the nice Interior job and paint work. i also have the 6 series seats but have not finished the top part, will show some of photos of what you have done to cover the gap at the top.

thanks

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

So I've been driving the car around a little bit lately and I have been hearing a little bit of rubbing coming from the rear end on even the slightest of bumps. My car has always looked really low in the rear end, so I just thought the springs must be worn out. I have another set of stock springs from my parts car that I decided I would throw in until I get new ones. When I pulled the wheels off and pulled one of the springs out this is what it looked like compared to my other ones:

CutSprings.jpg

They are just stock springs that have been cut. I was a little annoyed that I hadn't noticed this before. I also noticed another little goody while I was underneath:

MissingRearswaybarbushing.jpg

I knew that my rear bushings were all a little worn out, but this is rediculous! Guess I will really notice an improvement when I rebuild that rear end with urethane.

Oh well. The car actually sits where it is supposed to now and I don't have anymore rubbing, plus it seems to be more seated on the road around corners.

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg