• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ignition lock

detracto

man, i'm in a pickle.

i went out to start my car today and i can't unlock the ignition. the key works fine on the the door, but when you put it in the ignition and try to turn, it's like you're using the wrong key.

the car is parked at a meter right now, and i have a midterm exam in a few hours.

maybe this is some kind of lesson. a lesson about buying old cars, or a lesson about putting off homework and cramming before tests?

can anyone recommend a locksmith? i'm in san francisco.

-------

1973 BMW 2002 with innumerable problems

It could be so simple that the steering wheel is locked. Try moving the wheel slightly while carefully turning the key in the ignition. Worth a try.

Bob Napier

Ditto....that is what I would do first. Wiggle the steering wheel to take the pressure of the lock. A little key wiggling helps too.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

yes the steering lock can jam,, and wiggling back and forth can free it, BUT the lock can also fail - I just went through this and no amount of wiggling etc will free it,

if the steering moves, and the lock does not, your only cure is to remove the lock, and then turn the switch that is behind the lock tumbler with a screwdriver.

and then jam something down there so the steering lock does not engage while driving ! I used a 11 or 12 mm socket. Once the lock is out you should see how this steering lock mechanism works, engages, disengages, and there is a little round piece that might pop out that is part of this locking mechanism.

to get at the lock, ,there four screws below and carefully move the plastic case off the lock. Watch the horn mechanism, disconnect the horn wire, since it will just blow without the plastic case holding it.

there is a write up in the Roundel, Aug 2004, but the jist is there this a part in the lock that keeps the key in the lock when in the on position, so you cannot pull the key out while driving, BUT when that part breaks teh lock will not turn, only way to fix is to take out lock, drill out peened over studs on the back side, pull out lock, remove broken piece and try to reassemble, some short small self-tapping screws, or buy a new one for $140 from Maxilillian (which is what I am doing).

got it to turn. the wheels were straight, and the column wasn't locked.

my key is super worn, and i got it to turn after some significant vertical jiggling... so i'm thinking maybe i just wasn't reaching all of the pins in the tumbler.

thanks for your help, all.

-------

1973 BMW 2002 with innumerable problems