• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am having a problem with a member on this board...

Pierre

This is 2002 related...

I sold a 2002 to a fellow board member back in August.

To make a long story short, he paid for part of the car and promised the remaining balance within two weeks.

It's been over six months and still nothing. Most of my email go unanswered, and when they do, it's another promise of "next week", "next Friday," and yet nothing.

This is an active member on this board who managed to acquire a second 2002 in the meantime, and is showing interest in buying parts from other members on the For sale board etc.

I trusted this guy because he is a fellow 2002 enthusiast and frequent poster on this board. He is actually a pretty nice guy. But my numerous pleas for him to settle this and ignoring my emails is pushing me to ask for your help for suggestions/ideas. I am not going to pull an Esty but I won't sit quietly and lose the $1000 still owed to me.

Thank you.

Do you think this is off-topic?

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not going to pull an Esty but I won't sit quietly and lose the $1000 still owed to me.

lol....

seriously mister if you're gonna hang the laundry out...hang it out to dry...after i gave the buyer ample opportunity to do the right thing...i'd rat his deadbeat ass out in a heartbeat

just my thoughts and opinions on the matter....

Sorry about your situation, Pierre. Did you have him/her sign anything saying you would get your payment in 2 weeks? I bought my 02 this way too. The woman I purchased it from was selling it for $1500. I asked her if I could give her $800 now and pay the rest in a couple of weeks. She agreed as long as I would sign a hand written document stating I would pay her in that time. I had no problem with that. So I signed and drove my 02 home. She recieved her payment in time.

This made sense because she was just trying to cover her ass in case I didnt come through, but it sucks that your willingness to help out a fellow 02er came to this.

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

You've gone beyond patient.

I would post the details.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Not posting is a disservice to others on the board that may become involved in transactions with this guy IMO.

Good luck,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I can see the embarrassment of making a deal and then falling on hard times, but obviously they have not since they purchased another 02 and additional parts. Posting the name or user ID should be a last resort to solving the situation, but You've been more than fair and patient with this buyer... His being "nice" isn't paying off that $1,000 balance. Who's to say we won't see someone else get burned.

Paperwork is always good to have in case a handshake no longer has meaning...

Since it is for the sum it is, your only recourse is small claims court. I don't mean Judge Judy. You better have the documentation to back your talk. If you do, you will get your grand back without a Lawyer taking it. It is your only recourse....

I am not going to pull an Esty but I won't sit quietly and lose the $1000 still owed to me.

lol.... seriously mister if you're gonna hang the laundry out...hang it out to dry...after i gave the buyer ample opportunity to do the right thing...i'd rat his deadbeat ass out in a heartbeat

Esty may have a right to Bitch. I do not know that. I joined not to long ago but, have read all of most topics since and am still trying to learn all I can. I even went to the off topic room and have nine more to read to complete all, just to see who's bitchen at who.

(pretty brutal in there).

My advice would be to, ((since you have transpired monies, and talked to him/her)), Call directly and talk person to person & find a compromise. (completely documenting every step of the way).

Work it out personably and amicable. Then when all else fails, and He/She still thinks they boned you the hardest, sue them in small claims, then drag Him/Her through whatever you want to as, you have exhausted all means to try to work it out. Don't go straight to the off topic as it can quickly become very ugly if you do it public. Do what you want but personally, I wish I never read all those off topic posts.

Just my advise, so don't rip on me.

Joel.

Assuming you have your paperwork together:

Send him a letter certified mail stateing that you want your money in 2 weeks time. If you do not recieve payment, then hire a professional (repo man) to go pick up your car.

Just a thought.

1972 2002 Sahara
2017 228i

2019 F 250

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, he did sign an agreement saying he would pay it. And I has a witness too eho signed it too.

I talked to a lawyer friend who said I can easily collect in small claims court. I was just hoping he would eventually come through without having to go through this mess.

I think I will wait another 24 hours and see if I get a response. After that, the gloves come off.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

out the bastard.

let his shame be known. may it change his behaviour.

youve been more than patient. who is it?

i'd rat his deadbeat ass out in a heartbeat

Many of these remarks remind me of the Glen Fry song "Dirty laundry". "Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies...she can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye"....

Pierre, I think you have been very patient and I hope that your intention of posting this, making the culprit step up, works for you. I'm not big on airing dirty laundry however I think it is justified if the person does not get with you after this email thread.

Good luck with this and I appreciate you taking the high road up to this point which is a road less traveled.

Cheers,

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik

Similar thing happened to me on another car forum I frequent. I sent a guy a money order for a factory stereo. Never sent it. (In retrospect, I shoulda used Paypal, but...) He says the same thing: next week, busy at work, yada yada yada. Literally, 3 years later, I see him post his car for sale. I PM'd him and said, I have been patient, you owe me some money, I didn't out you on this forum that we BOTH frequent, and here's the e-mails you sent me 3 years ago. After a week, he sent it PayPal including the fees. Since it was less than three hundred bucks, it was more principal than the money; but, I still wanted my money!

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

many of these remarks remind me of the Glen Fry song "Dirty laundry". "Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies...she can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye"....

Just to clarify that is a Don Henley song, and a terrible one at that. Then again, aren't all Don Henley/Eagles songs crap??