• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

orginal vs buying a motor /IDS

eaker02

74tii

Engine needs rebuilt. Read where someone has a re-bult 74tii engine for sale on the "parts for sale" menu.

question is I also read where, If you can keep your orginal engine, do so, due to matching numbers..

I knew there were matching numbers on the steering column, fender wells and another place or two, but are they also on the engine too?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

if it were a base model 02 who cares. but keep your tii original. rebuild what you have or at least tuck it in the corner of the garage and buy the rebuilt unit. just hang on to the original because you will want it at some point

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I am having a motor built and will switch when it is done. That gives me time, and my car is not laid up with the engine out. Is your current engine blown? If not the find a block and rebuild the engine while you drive and save the old core after the a swap. Matching numbers are not worth much unless you intend to go to Barrett_Jackson.

post-344-13667587469553_thumb.jpg

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

if it were a base model 02 who cares.

I CARE!!!!

..... just so you know.

at the least, hold on to the original block for the next owner. i've passed on several nice 02's because of my stupid little idiosyncracy.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

It may not matter now... but someday..in many years.. it might. As more and more of these cars return to the dust of the earth, get chopped up, modified all to hell, wrecked, or otherwise retired, then it might make you feel more special.

I know I like having the numbers match on my plain ole 02, since I know how much non-matching numbers annoys the crap out of my friend that has a 67 Chevelle SS. It's chromed out completely, and engine dyno'd at like 622hp last I heard, but he's more into the car shows than anything. Anytime someone is drooling over the engine, they often ask him if the numbers match.. and he has to explain... and I know he hates it.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I would definately keep your matching motor. If the cost was right, you could buy the rebuilt motor and just use the head from it. Then have your block (which has the "matching numbers" machined on it) rebuilt and mate those two together. It may be cheaper to buy the whole motor than rebuild your head depending on how much they want. Then you can sell the spare rebuilt block to someone who doesn't care about the matching numbers. The head does not have any matching serial numbers that I know of. however it may have a date stamped on it if it was a new replacement head from BMW. Mine says 1980 as it was a factory replacment part from the 80's. Luckily I have a nice head from the 60's in the garage for a future rebuild.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

C'mon Blunt - I care.

I plan on doing an engine swap in the future, but I'm going to keep the matching numbers block for sure. It's just comforting......

Besides - my goal when I bought my car was to make it a "ti" look-alike. It's wrong to do that to a tii....

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I totally agree, this was one reason passed up a 73 tii but had a 32/36 carb.

Want it to be a fun car, fun project, but also would like to keep serial numbers orginal.. unlike the VW I restored, 60hp and orginal, this I feel I can mix as far as interior, etc .

Just didn't realize there we're so many serial #.. It may not go to Barrett-Jackson's but, the way NADA is pricing the cars. it's like have a car from there.. sorta..

Very good ideas.. thanks

ron

C'mon Blunt - I care.

I plan on doing an engine swap in the future, but I'm going to keep the matching numbers block for sure. It's just comforting......

Besides - my goal when I bought my car was to make it a "ti" look-alike. It's wrong to do that to a tii....

Ken

oh man, it looks like i hurt some feelings. for the record i own 2 "base model " 02s and zero tii's. im not a purist by any means. it just doesnt bother me cutting up or modifying or doing an engine swap on a base model 02. i would not butcher a tii to do an s14 car. thats all im saying. i love all 02's

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

My non tii, but will blow a tii of the road and has a crate motor with about 15k on it based on the compression; in other words new. I will hopefully never have to sell it and give it to my sons one day. So I don't care!

I'M DRIVING THIS BITCH!

None of my cars are investment they are entertainment.

None of my cars are investment they are entertainment.

Great quote for a signature line!

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Well, I'm slightly drunk but here goes...

I wish my car, a '73tii was worth a whole bunch of money. I wish the car as a whole were greater than the sum of its parts. I don't forsee it getting there anytime soon. Why? Well the value is subjective, of course. But here is a dream, a dream that turns into a nightmare.

I bought my car for $6K and don't regret one dime of it. I have put $$$ into it - 5 speed, new clutch, steering wheel, new brakes, new 15in. wheels and a ton of on-going odds and end parts from Blunt and more... A lot of interested folks ask me about buying it and I will never sell it, but I throw figures around just to stay abreast of the market. I say $11K which I honestly know it is worth. Ha, the vultures look at me as if I am a two bit hustler. They exclaim that I am nuts (well most do as most of all on this board who chop down anyone asking reasonable prices that appear high), that I don't understand that these cars are for cult fanatics, most of whom are not excessively wealthy or pompous.

My point is these cars will never reach top dollar as long as the majority of owners bicker about excessive prices. So that leaves me to conclude modernization is okay, especially if you plan on using it daily.

Purist please cover your eyes and look beyond what follows: I kept the same tii engine, but I am unilaterally changing it forever. Eric Kerman is stroking my motor to 2.3 and the K-Fish pump is going to the grave - well at least to one of the storage shelves in my garage. It will become an electronic megasquirt modern marvel! It will become part of the new bread of Californians - which out here means 50 = the new 30. That is what I want; my car to last 30+ more years. I want to be able to jump in and not have to worry about ruff idle or super high rpms to keep up with traffic. My kids may kick me or stomp on my grave, especially if these tii hit the $100K marker. So be it, at least it will have matching VIN numbers - the motor to the chassis. I can't look back now, tomorrow's coming! I'll see of you all in the future; the scotch and soda is the bomb!!

The Road of Life Should Be Driven in a BMW2002!! Happy Trails!