• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '72 2002 project car

RoyW

I have visited this site numerous times over the past two years seeking information, and once some advice... it has been very informative and I thank you all for the contibutions you may have made.

At this time, I thought it was about time that I start a blog on my '73 2002tii project car and share my plan, progress, etc. So, here goes:

I bought the car, a '72 '02tii, as a shell back in '06 and brought it to a shop in NH that I have worked with over the years on other BMWs. They (VSR) specialize in race prep, general maintenance, and restorations of principaly BMWs.

This '02tii chassis was from AZ (so, it was in great shape with almost no rust) and had made it way to NJ where the PO was planning, and had started to, restore it. For a number of reasons, he decided to sell it and make room for other BMWs he had come to acquire... and that when it came to me.

My plan for this car was to build a resto-mod '02 that would be a weekend driver and occasional car show participant... and, it was to be, to some degree, a one-of-a kind BMW 2002.

In the first year of ownership, it was all about gathering parts, e.g., I bought a parts car and VSR had or help find many other parts that we would use in the build/restoration. I already had an S14 engine (Schnitzer S3 2.5) and close-ratio tranny, and decided that's what would be the heart of the drive train for this car.

A little more than a year ago, work started on the fabrication and fitment of the S14 engine, Getrag 265 close-ratio transmission, 3.25 diff, custom driveshaft, custom half shafts, Ireland Engineering suspension, brakes, etc. After all the associated mechanical and fab work was completed, things were dis-assembled and the shell went to the body shop side for all that that entails (way more than I envisioned!). In addition, and during this time, the interior seats were selected and send to the upholsterer for that work, the S14 was completely re-freshed, and much of the sub-framing and some suspension parts were being blasted and finish coated.

At this time, the car is near completion relative to the body & paint phase and it will soon be moving to the mechanical side for re-assmebly. There's still a long ways to go, but I'm hopeful that by mid-April it will be completed and I'll be driving it....hope Springs eternal!!

I'm attaching (hopfully?) a couple links to slideshows of the progress-to-date. I'll send more information and ictures as we get into the assemble phase.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/RoyW/2002tii/?action=view&current=0effb797.pbw

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/RoyW/2002tii/?action=view&current=c2eb8dd8.pbw

Regards,

RoyW

Roy

Tim Jones put me onto this Very neat looking Interested in rear suspension details Looks as though you are using E30 stuff Cool

I am going to be in Boston next week, any chance to see it? :)

Have you met Jack Frederick? Jack lives in Boston area and owns a real turbo that is at Matt McGinn's shop Jack is a great guy and also has a very nice Golf 72

Hope you can get it done in time to bring it to the Vintage in May

Good luck

The car is about 1 hour north of Boston at VSR in Bow, NH... stop in if you have the time!

I don't know the 'Jack' that you referenced... perhaps I'll meet him this year when my '02 is participating in local event?

And, yes, I plan to bring the car to V@V. Hope to see you there.

-RoyW

Thank you, will do. But, perhaps I've offended the purists? :)

-RoyW

nobody gets offended here like on s14. to me its all about quality of work. and it appears you have that covered. see you in may at vintage

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...