• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 M20 2.7 SWAP QUESTION

MEANBM

Hey guys, i have been reading all over the net on how to do the converison, now there are some people that say thats its easy, some people say its hard, so i though i would make a thread about this issue.

Whats the easiest part?

How hard is it?

What is the hardest part?

Roughly How long will it take?

And will the rear end handle that much power?

What do you guys suggest i should do?

Your help would be very much appreiated :-)

Cheers Alll

Wasim Alameddine

www.swea.com.au

what about some good work on the standard M10 motor, turbo fuel injection, that sorta stuff, they can really go. But the problem with getting more power in 2002's are the drivetrains, you would need a stronger gearbox and definatly a diff.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Yea i know that you could get more power from the m10, shit yeah, but i have never seen an m20 conversion done here in oz, so thats why i want to do it. I browsed the net and came across some that have had the swap, and damn they do go hard, with the transmission im going for a e21 323i 5 speed gear box, and diff im still thinking, maybe an e21 LSD will fit?

P.S a s14 b23 would be sweet but damn they all go for $7000 complete, thats just too much, the m20 2.7 can be done for free!!!, i have all the parts!

Cheers Alll

Wasim Alameddine

www.swea.com.au

One of the issues you may have is getting the exhaust to fit round the steering box. There is very little room to play with on a RHD car, with the stock coupling.

You may also need to find a bigger radiator, and suitable thermostat.

The e21 diff is probably your best option, though with the dollar the way it is a US sourced one may be a good option.

And believe me, you have the same problems with an S14 conversion.

"Why is one of my reverse lights on in 4th?"

Yea, cheers for the help, so far the parts im going to use:

M20 2.7 Motor, including ecu, harness, etc.

E21 5 speed gear box

E21 320 Fuel pump setup

E21 32I Transmission Mount

E30 Coolant Bottle

Drive Shafts (Please help me)

Gas tank (i don't no) people suggest Tii tanks (hard to source here in oz

14" electric Fan

Two 325i left engine mounts and one 2002 right motor mount (NEW)

Relocate battery to trunk and using the 325i battery set up

Volkswagon Rabbit Break Hose line

Honda Civic CVCC throttle cable

So far thats all i could think of, Please let me also what else i need!

Cheers Alll

Wasim Alameddine

www.swea.com.au

List looks good so far..don't bother with the Civic cable, I'd recommend a Lokar 24" universal one, works a lot smoother and is a lot more adjustable.

Matt

What about an e30 cable or e21 cable, would they fit?

Cheers Alll

Wasim Alameddine

www.swea.com.au

List looks good so far..don't bother with the Civic cable, I'd recommend a Lokar 24" universal one, works a lot smoother and is a lot more adjustable.

Matt

What about an e30 cable or e21 cable, would they fit?

Sure, you can get anything to fit. What I'm saying is that since 2001 or 2002 when I did the m20 swap, I used a Civic cable, I've used a e30 cable, and finally bought a Lokar which I should have done in the first place. Much smoother, more adjustability, and plus it looks cool, which will add at least 5hp. I shoulda just bought it right off the hop.

So are you planning on swapping in a 2.7, a 2.5, or a hybrid? It would be a terrible idea to drop in a regular 2.7 eta engine as they are seriously low on HP, and just don't upgrade that well staying FI. Trust me, I own an e30 with one in it. On the other hand, if you built a hybrid, or performance 2.7 it might be worth it. Unfortunately you're still looking at spending quite a bit of money just to hit 200hp.

So are you planning on swapping in a 2.7, a 2.5, or a hybrid? It would be a terrible idea to drop in a regular 2.7 eta engine as they are seriously low on HP, and just don't upgrade that well staying FI. Trust me, I own an e30 with one in it. On the other hand, if you built a hybrid, or performance 2.7 it might be worth it. Unfortunately you're still looking at spending quite a bit of money just to hit 200hp.

No mate, im planning on putting in a stroked 2.7 (the performance one). Yes i understand that the 2.7 eta is a joke of a motor as i had owned a 325e. The motor is all ready, also has an alpina cam in it.

Cheers Alll

Wasim Alameddine

www.swea.com.au