• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie again, simple question, difficult answer about resto.

Since I am in the market for an 02. I'm wondering about what it'll cost me to restore a car, somewhat.

My thought is, I'll be able to put around $2k into it after the purchase. This could be a paint job, an engine rebuild, new interior, whatever - depends on the condition of the car I buy.

Is it realistic to take the car to a shop and say "Hey, I have x budget, what can you do?"

As for a base on cost that I can keep in mind:

How much can I expect a general engine overhaul/rebuild to cost me - just up to stock nothing fancy?

How about a bare metal paint job ?

I understand there are a LOT of variables involved, condition of existing parts, rust, etc. I'm not asking for definitive answers, just a general idea so I know if my $3k ballpark budget for the 02 is a realistic number for the kind of car I want when all is said and done.

Thanks !

Since I am in the market for an 02. I'm wondering about what it'll cost me to restore a car, somewhat.

My thought is, I'll be able to put around $2k into it after the purchase. This could be a paint job, an engine rebuild, new interior, whatever - depends on the condition of the car I buy.

Is it realistic to take the car to a shop and say "Hey, I have x budget, what can you do?"

As for a base on cost that I can keep in mind:

How much can I expect a general engine overhaul/rebuild to cost me - just up to stock nothing fancy?

How about a bare metal paint job ?

I understand there are a LOT of variables involved, condition of existing parts, rust, etc. I'm not asking for definitive answers, just a general idea so I know if my $3k ballpark budget for the 02 is a realistic number for the kind of car I want when all is said and done.

Thanks !

go for 20,000-30,000 for a full resto and you are more in the ballpark. id save and wait until you can afford a $5-8k car. $2k is chump change in car restoration terms... keep that on hand strictly to pay for the inevitable mechanical issues youll run into. ;)

Yeah, I realized after I posted that I said "restore," but didn't really mean it.

What I meant was the basic "up to par" kind of repairs. Get things into daily driver status stuff.

I'm expecting to pay about $6k on it by the end of the year. If I can get away with an 02 that's been cared for and had the work done for $6k - I'll be happy.

I'm trying to guage what I can get if I buy one around $3k, then put the other 2-3 in after purchase, and which way I am better off going.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I realized after I posted that I said "restore," but didn't really mean it.

What I meant was the basic "up to par" kind of repairs. Get things into daily driver status stuff.

I'm expecting to pay about $6k on it by the end of the year. If I can get away with an 02 that's been cared for and had the work done for $6k - I'll be happy.

I'm trying to guage what I can get if I buy one around $3k, then put the other 2-3 in after purchase, and which way I am better off going.

Thanks for the help.

its just amazing how fast it adds up. i bought my 69 for 1200 bucks and swore to myself id only do mechanical upgrades, make it safe and redo the suspension. i have 7k into it already and it doesnt look all that great. but its solid and reliable. and fun. whatever you figure it will cost double or triple it. and what rob said about 20-30k for a full resto is right on for a nut and bolt resto and can go higher easily. id buy a car already done if you want a nice driver. i think its the most economical way to do it if you buy it from the right guy. if you buy it from the wrong guy well you know......

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I bought my car last year for $2.1K and dropped $2.5K just to get the brakes replaced, the engine gone over adn some other small mech. things to make it safe enough to drive.

2008 135i

1972 2002 Sold

1968 2002ti (no longer w/ us)

Robspeed is correct...a proper "restoration" is going to cost thousands. I've just acquired a one owner '74 tii and allotted myself about $2000. just to to base line it. It all adds up quick...sway bars $250./ urethane bushings $135./ tires $200, springs, brakes, fuel filter, plugs, oil, etc., etc...my advice is to buy the nicest car you can(least rusty), base line it and then do work as you go. Who cares if it's a little crusty or the paint's bad, it's still a super cool/ fun car.

Nigel Vincent

www.sports-car-restoration.com

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

I think I will follow your advice and just go for the best car I can afford right now.

I was talking with c.d.iesel in another thread and thought that I could go the rebuild/repair route as I have plenty of time, and some extra K's to spend, but I do see how things can add up. Especially since labor is a big wildcard (depending on the hidden qualities of an 02) that could turn any seemingly good buy into that much more of an investment.

I have to be careful though. I know myself, and it will be easy for me to spend more than I originally planned if I see one that makes my heart skip hehe.

Gotta be careful.

Thanks again.

Issa.

Guest Anonymous

its just amazing how fast it adds up. i bought my 69 for 1200 bucks and swore to myself id only do mechanical upgrades, make it safe and redo the suspension. i have 7k into it already and it doesnt look all that great.

I am soooo there too... I paid $4500 for mine because that was the only inka roundie I ever saw within 500 miles of my home. I already have a total of $10K into it, and it still needs fender rust repair and complete paint job...

Everytime I tell myself I'll buy a perfect car (and pay the price), yet every time I fall for the wounded puppy that needs a restoration, and I lose my shirt ;-) It's kinda fun, but I might miss that money when I retire someday ;-)

mind that much of the work listed below was done several years ago, and parts costs have gone up somewhat since - this is not a show car, but it is a solid, no excuses example that I wouldn't hesitate to drive cross-country at any time...........

Listed below is an estimate/overview of the significant expenditures made since the purchase of our current ’02 – was purchased in October 2002 indirectly from the original owner, and was an exceptionally solid, original black plate northern CA car that had been in dry storage since 1985. 1969 sunroof, original paint in good condition, virtually no rust or body damage, no interior damage (uncracked dash, etc). 132k miles, good running condition, new exhaust & 3 core radiator.

What’s listed below does NOT include minor upgrades and ongoing maintenance

$3,500.00 Original purchase, Oct 2000:

$ 500.00 Door and window reseal and interior maintenance

• Replaced door seals, front and rear windshield seals, driver’s seat horsehair pads

$ 600.00 E21 5 speed upgrade, spring 2002

• Wrecking yard sourced transmission ($90), new clutch disc, pressure plate & t/o bearing; new trans mounts & guibo, driveshaft shortened & rebuilt locally ($250).

$ 600.00 E21 big brake upgrade, spring 2002

• new vented rotors & 320i rear drums, Turbo e-brake cables, new brake lines, master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders, pads & shoes, front wheel bearings, caliper kits; used (wrecking yard) calipers, hubs, & misc parts.

$ 450.00 Weber 38/38 & manifold upgrade, spring 2002

$3,800.00 Engine rebuild & upgrade early spring 2003:

• E21 head rebuilt, combustion chambers matched, Shrick 284 cam; block bored 1st oversize, new pistons, oil pump, timing chain, gears & related parts, 6 bolt crank & flywheel upgraded to 8 bolt units, reciprocating parts balanced, new water pump, clutch disc, pressure plate & flywheel; new tii centrifugal advance distributor

$ 550.00 Ronal 5.5x13 wheel swap, spring 2006

• Weld one damaged wheel, straighten all 4 wheels, bead blast & paint, purchase & install tires

$ 1000.00 Suspension upgrade, spring 2007

• Bilstein sport shocks, Eibach springs, various bushings, etc

The total for what’s listed is about $10,500 – this is with most labor (other than the actual engine rebuild which was done by a local shop) done at home. Overall, I’d guess that we’ve probably got something over $14k in the car altogether.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

So you can see that if someone wants $7500 - $10,000 for a car that has had almost everything "done", you are still getting a pretty good deal. They have probably had to absorb a good percentage of the "restoration costs", while you get the benefit of getting a complete car that you can drive right away. Because "driving" them is really the greatest pleasure we can get from them. I would much rather be IN them than UNDER them.

Save up your money and hold out for a nice completed car. You still get to tinker with it, and modify it to your tastes, but all the while, driving it.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

You all are AWESOME. You all helped me decide on a car to buy.

This morning I bought a 74 2002 Sahara (resprayed in original color circa 15 years ago)

It's way the hell up in Sonoma county (anyone see this one before/know about it)

Funny thing is on the way back from seeing/buying, I saw a roundie coming the other way. Eccentric looking older woman inside...

Anyway, I paid $6k. This is what I got.

-The engine looked oily on the driver's side of the case, - no burning smell.

-A thin puff of blue on the downshift/decel - valve guide issue, right?

-No smoke on startup

-Smelled like it ran rich

-Solid suspension (lowered - I generally am not a "street racer" type, but it looks like it means business with the lower stance)

-Little play in the steering wheel, but way less than another 02 I saw monday. (is about a half-inch of play normal?)

-Car runs very well, smooth accelleration, tight clutch and tranny.

(Clutch and flywheel were replaced and machined 3 years ago)

-Speedo doesn't work.

-Miles = ??

-Tiny bubbles under the hood paint. Is this young rust? (size of a pen tip)

Gold & Silver bbs's

320 5spd tranny w/ LSD

Recaros (older 80's looking models)

Paint was good - still smooth.

! Kinda concerned about small bubbles under the hood paint (tiny, about the size of a pen tip)

! No rust, except for 1 pencil eraser-sized exposed spot on passenger door and some bubbles behind the front passenger wheel on the passenger side panel.

He's throwing in a good condition tii dash (for which I'll need a clock).

So far, what do you think. Seem like a decent price for what it is.

I will get it a week from now, and post photos.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

If the oil is all down the drivers side of the block check the seal on the timing chain cover gasket. Mine was a mess when i got it and all I did was re-do that seal with gasket-sealer and now my motor has no oil leaks. Of course you'll spend a couple ours cleaning up the mess it made leaking :)

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600