• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor Swap from a Mini Cooper S

752dbl02

New MINIs are FWD... I know they've been playing around with a 4WD set-up, but thats even more complicated.

For the fabrication necessary to graft a RWD transmission onto the MINI drivetrain, I'd rather go Nissan SR20 or a motor out of a Honda S2000.

mmmm.... 9,500 redline

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

S2000 is probably the best fit. Thr SR20DEt intake and exhaust are flipped than what we currently have on stock 02. Measurements for the s2000 tranny is about 2 inches longer than stock tranny possition. The tunnel will have to be taller to fit the S2000. Needs to be around 12" tall. I am currently working on this setup. Will keep all posted.

• 2 months later...

I've contemplated a Miata motor sway (assuming my M10 under rebuild now gives it up prematurely). Like the Nissan motor the exhaust and intake are on opposite sides.

The upsides to the Miata stuff is cheap pricing, no internal mods needed for turbocharging, and cheap plug and play ECU upgrades.

I'll compare dimensions with the M10 when I bet the engine and tranny bolted together.

'76 2002 - in pieces