• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New, first project. Help! Where to start?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, bear with me, I am new to this. I have long had an affinity for '02s, even bought a running car with frame issues in college, but with no where to store or work on it, sold it (doh!). I recently came into a free car that appears to be a good starting point for a working, running car. There is naught but light surface rust anywhere, towers are clean, door sills, everything. Car was running and driven 5 years ago, though the tranny was funky. Then, she was vandalized (all lights and glass destroyed) and stored for 4 years. The guy I got it from had it stored in a leaky garage bay. When we pulled it out the brakes were all frozen. Towed it home, hooked up a battery and it started right up. All electricals appear to work. Runs and hold an idle as long as I run it, but white smoke (greater in volume when throttle is depressed) comes from right side of the engine. I can't get it into gear to drive it, either.

I am not a mechanic, but have several manuals and willing accomplices. My question is, where should I start? I am getting glass soon, so it is not exposed to weather.

Any thoughts? Oh, it is a '74 4 speed, yellow.

Thanks!

Once you get it sealed from the weather address the mechanical that will make it reliable and safe.

Go through the brakes to get them working correctly and replace the fluid.

Ground points are notorious on the 02 so look in your manual to find them and inspect and clean them. Add a ground from the back of your instrument panel to the metal behind the dash.

Check all the rubber bushings and replace if needed. Check the ball joints,tie rod ends... for play. I am guessing you need new tires.

Make sure you have a second set of keys made if you don't have a second set. Your dealing with an old car and old keys.

The headlights are not very good and a set of Hella H4 headlights really make a difference.

Do a general tune up and adjust the valves.

Change the fuel and air filters and all fluids.

Check the bushings on the alternator. The stock set up does not offer allot of extra charge so you want it in good shape.

Clean the fuses.

If it runs a little hot swap the stock radiator for one out of on E21.

Does the heater fan work? Some times you can nudge it and it will free up. Otherwise you will need to replace it.

I found the crank case ventilation tube to be lacking and I replaced id with an after market filter.

Inspect the quibo (not sure about spelling).

Clean the window tracks and regulators and grease. There is most likely 34 year old gunk were grease once was and if left go it causes undo stress on the gears.

Find a parts source and start collecting parts.

What carburater is on the car now?

John Hoffner

Cars - I'll look in the driveway and let you know later.

For the brakes, shall I assume that what's on there is likely toast (since they were frozen and I had to hammer on them for a while to free them up enough to tow it) and plan to replace? And, is there a sensible upgrade if I have to replace the brakes anyway?

The headlights, all other lights and all the windows were smashed in the vandalism incident, so they have to be replaced anyway.

The electricals all work, as far as I can tell, heater fan, wiper motor, etc., though I haven't tested the lights (due to their destruction).

What about the white smoke in the engine bay? Sound like cracked head gasket, manifold gasket, a simple hose issue?

I believe the carb is a two-barrel weber, I will look when I haul the car out this spring.

Thanks for the to-do list, I appreciate your help!

Jason

Thanks!!!