• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CR 5 Speed replacement questions

rho

I'm going to remove my CR 5 speed soon to have it refreshed/check out.

Question: Are there ANY other trannys with the exact same dimensions, so I can install a used tranny while mine is being worked on?

Thanks!

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

The OD five speed is very close in length. You probably could fudge that in without changing out the drive shaft provided it uses the same guibo. If you are anywhere near Massachusetts, I might be able to help you out. I have a couple of OD boxes and a couple of spare driveshafts as back up for my CR.

Thanks Todd, I'm about as far away from Mass as possible, California. :(

If the transmission support bracket is in the same place (mine was removed and welded in a different location) that would make it easier. I"ll keep my eye out on OD 5 speeds and check the local yards.

What drive shafts work with OD 5 speeds?

The OD five speed is very close in length. You probably could fudge that in without changing out the drive shaft provided it uses the same guibo. If you are anywhere near Massachusetts, I might be able to help you out. I have a couple of OD boxes and a couple of spare driveshafts as back up for my CR.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Most people will just take the four speed 2002 one and have it cut down. The key is getting the right flange and guibo to match the output for the OD tranny. Since you all ready have a shorter driveshaft, it could just be a bolt up. Fabricating a tranny mount is easy.

Hi Rho

The 5-CR and 5-OD don't have th same output flange to the guibo-driveshaft. One is 4 bolts (5-CR) and the other is 3 bolts (5-OD). And as the splines are different, they cannot be swapped.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Jerry,

Schatz and Krum will do the work. I talked to the owner and he knows them well and races with one in his 2002 track car. They are in Sacramento, ask for Stuart.

rho, who ya gonna use to rehab the CR 5spd. i've got one too of unknown provenance. i'm in n.calif.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Thanks Lee, if I get a 5-OD and the correct drive shaft then I should be ok. Question is which drive shaft do I want? Will 5-OD driveshaft from a 320i work?

Hi Rho

The 5-CR and 5-OD don't have th same output flange to the guibo-driveshaft. One is 4 bolts (5-CR) and the other is 3 bolts (5-OD). And as the splines are different, they cannot be swapped.

Lee

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Out in the garage right now, I have a 4 speed with a 3 bolt, one CR with a four bolt, 2 od with a 3 bolt, and one od with a four bolt. And before you say it's impossible, I know what I'm looking at. It's on the shelf next to the others, and has a four bolt output flange. I even kept the four bolt driveshaft so I can use it as a spare.