• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these Gauges right for a '73?

JohnH02

This car is on ebay under bimmerbros, I imagine. Nice car but having owned 4 1973 '02's in my day, these gauges look earlier to me. Any thoughts. Car is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nice-Rare-Classic-1973-BMW-2002-4-Speed-WIth-Extras_W0QQitemZ200208089768QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200208089768[/img]

post-7483-13667588205788_thumb.jpg

'73 2002 Tii

'72 3.0 S

'72 3.0 CS (3.5)

'11 X5 35d

I don't think so. I know those gauges are for 68-71's, I think they changed in 72 on...

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Guest Anonymous

The gauges strike me as being earlier too. However, bear in mind that they are KMP and clearly not for the North American market. Therefore, they MAY have been on the cusp as far as being period correct. In either case, I would also be concerned that the speedo be the correct one for what ever rearend is in the vehicle.

The gauges strike me as being earlier too. However, bear in mind that they are KMP and clearly not for the North American market. Therefore, they MAY have been on the cusp as far as being period correct. In either case, I would also be concerned that the speedo be the correct one for what ever rearend is in the vehicle.

No, not correct. Probably early 1602, 2002 went usually to 200 km/h. And for the record, 2002ti to 220.

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

Guest Anonymous

The late Michael Potheau's article, "In memoriam . . . 2002" discusses this and suggests that sometime between 71 and 72 may have actually been the cut-off date for the use of 50's style gauges. The article is hardly definitive, but it goes into a tremendous amount of detail. I do not believe I ever noticed a tii with these dial faces though.

Scroll way down the page to find the article:

http://old.bmwcca.org/TechTips/2002

The all black ones are the ones I have in my 73.

Does anyone know what the red marks are on the speedo? I sort of have a feeling that they equate to the max / redline shift points on the stock transmission. Is that true?

i have the '73 gauge cluster in my '74.

i think the red mark on the speedo just denotes 55mph, the usual max speed limit for drivers in the US. there is only the one mark at 55mph on my speedo, just like in the above pic. your UK speedo may be different though.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)