• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is sad. I gotta sell my car already.

citizenchan

Check it out in the "Cars" section. It's causing too many problems at home... I should've listened to c.d. Basically, it's an expense that I was prepared for, but not my girlfriend. Which is no big deal to me since it's my money, and the car is great, but she is griefing me non-stop cuz "it's old,""loud,""makes funny noises," etc. When she rides with me she tells me to slow down so I don't break it, it's killing me. I can't have fun with the car at all and that's the whole reason I bought it. Anyway, just venting again. I'm selling it at the link below. I will put it up elsewhere if none of you want it.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,492512/#492512

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry man, that sucks. My car used to be a major fire starter with me and my wife until we started allowing each other a little bit to spend (or save) each month with no questions. Once I stopped surprising her with "more ebay purchases for the orange car", things got a lot better.

Hope you can keep it in the faq family

'71 inka 'Ingrid'

I remember when my wife and I started dating. I had a '75 2002. She would make comments like "it's loud" or "it rides rough".

As we continued, I would invite her for drives down the coast or an occasional car show. She saw how much fun I had and learned to appreciate it. It's been 12 years now. We have a 4 year old son and she enjoys watching us "fiddle" with the cars.

Although she's still not totally invloved in my hobby, she does understand it is a great outlet for me. She loves the '73 2002 and would never let me sell it.

As your girlfriend will learn, compromise is going to be a very important ingredient for a lasting relationship. If you genuinely enjoy it, keep it. Sooner or later, she'll get it.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Check it out in the "Cars" section. It's causing too many problems at home... I should've listened to c.d. Basically, it's an expense that I was prepared for, but not my girlfriend. Which is no big deal to me since it's my money, and the car is great, but she is griefing me non-stop cuz "it's old,""loud,""makes funny noises," etc. When she rides with me she tells me to slow down so I don't break it, it's killing me. I can't have fun with the car at all and that's the whole reason I bought it. Anyway, just venting again. I'm selling it at the link below. I will put it up elsewhere if none of you want it.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,492512/#492512

That sucks dude. Maybe there's more to it but why are you letting her rule your life like that? I'd give her the boot, seriously.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

I'm sorry but selling your car because your girlfriend is bitching at you is the biggest pussy move ever. Your pussy must be hurting alot right now. Take your balls back from her purse and get a new girlfriend.

Your companion should at least understand your passion for your "things". Weather it be football, baseball, F1 or a car hobby.

Your money is your money. What you do with it is your business.

Your not married, and you don't have kids together...... so whats the big deal? If she's this intrusive now it's not going to get any better

I bet you already have a joint account with her too.....forgettaboutit.

Sorry for the harsh words, but being from brazil maybe it's my culture.

American men need to assert their testosterone more.

end of rant.

( Seriously nothing personal, more of a attack on the state of the american male culture )

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

I'm sorry but selling your car because your girlfriend is bitching at you is the biggest pussy move ever. Your pussy must be hurting alot right now. Take your balls back from her purse and get a new girlfriend.

Your companion should at least understand your passion for your "things". Weather it be football, baseball, F1 or a car hobby.

Your money is your money. What you do with it is your business.

Your not married, and you don't have kids together...... so whats the big deal? If she's this intrusive now it's not going to get any better

I bet you already have a joint account with her too.....forgettaboutit.

Sorry for the harsh words, but being from brazil maybe it's my culture.

American men need to assert their testosterone more.

end of rant.

( Seriously nothing personal, more of a attack on the state of the american male culture )

+1

I'm new here, but I have a few old cars (2 x 914s and a Capri) and my wife understands that this is what I like to do for fun. I could be off boozing or something else, but I wander out to the garage and tinker about. Your GF is short-sighted and she's trying to manipulate you and that is not very nice. Good luck and nice car.

-Joe

Los Angeles

Looking for an '02

'73 914 1911 - Phoenix Red "Charlotte"

'7X 914 2.7/6 - Black Primer "player to be named later"

'73 Capri 2.8 - Rolling Tetanus

'91 Jetta 2.0 16V GLi (Rainy Day Car - now smooshed)

I have to agree, this is just be a start of something bigger and will get worse. If a man can't have his cars,then WTF!!!

I've had my current 02 for 3 years and my other car for 1 and my wife has never ridden in either because it's too loud or uncomfortable. She is not into cars like me and only ask that I don't start it in the garage to smoke it out or rev it into the garage late at night. But she would never ask me to sell anything that she knows I love...shit, just the thought of her suggesting such a thing made me just chuckle to myself.

Whatever you decide to do, Good luck!!

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

I know, it makes me look bad. It's a crappy situation. I have so far blamed her 100%, but it isn't that simple. Granted still worth it in my book since I am more confident than she is, but...

The problem is that there is truth to her concerns. She's worried that the regular maintenance costs will be fairly high, and the inevitable part failure will put a huge damper in our funds and our schedules.

I'll have to perform minor maintenance more often, meaning I'll need to carpool with her and put her off her schedule. I agree that it isn't fair of me to make a decision that is 100% for myself when it goes right, but will impact her negatively if/when it goes wrong.

So, I was seriously considering an m20 swap with JP up at A1 to improve the reliability, but then I think about the $10-12k I'll have spent for the car after all is said and done, versus spending that much (or less) on a more practical car (size, cost, reliability, etc) - read 2001 civic... Bleh.

Basically, our life situations don't really allow for a luxury like this.

As I mentioned to c.d. before, I am planning for an investment property purchase within 4 years. I have to consider whether or not I want to spend my savings on that or this car in a worst case scenario.

Plus, neither of us are rich, and she's racking up $200k in law school loans. Her payments will be $2100 per month. I also have school loans, less than half hers, plus a healthy salary, but these cars are a luxury.

I'm our backup plan in the event something happens (car dies, accident, illness, etc). Sure I thought about this before I purchased, but hearing these things over and over has caused me to doubt my decision.

As I mentioned, at this point, I worry everytime I pass someone or accelerate if I'm pushing the car too hard, or if this or that noise is some catastrophic failure waiting to happen. The fun I'm supposed to be having just isn't there.

So, while I certainly recognize how lame it is that she's giving me a hard time, I have to be big about it and try to understand her view, which unfortunately has solid grounding.

To her credit she realized that she shouldn't say anything, but you know we can tell when they are giving us the stink-eye or thinking something. She's been telling me all day to keep the car now, cuz she realizes she shouldn't be shit talking. But again, it's like the experience has been ruined. I'm picking out the flaws, waiting for the breakdown, holding my breath, etc. And I know rationally that these things probably won't happen, but I also know how hard daily life would get for the both of us if they did (paying rent, loans, bills, etc). It isn't fair for me to make a decision for myself with that great an impact for her as well.

One thing I am trying to consider is a daily driver (beater) + insurance, then keeping this and going with Classic Car insurance. While I will still have spent a load of cash (that I don't exactly have/want to spend), I wouldn't have to give up the 02.

In your experience, is classic/collecter car insurance significantly lower than standard full coverage? Right now I pay 1200/yr - 26 yr-old male and got a speeding ticket last august.

Thanks for all the support here. We'll see how this offer to sell goes.

Your 02 being uneconomical sounds pretty strange to me. After all the work you've done to it, it should be pretty bulletproof for years to come. Ever had a new car with a broken computer/electrical regulator? Sets you back several grand for a small box. And any mechanical part on any new or old car needs to be replaced or rebuilt at some point. So the only option more economical is to not buy a car at all.

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

As I mentioned to c.d. before, I am planning for an investment property purchase within 4 years.

I have to consider whether or not I want to spend my savings on that or this car in a worst case scenario.

Plus, neither of us are rich, and she's racking up $200k in law school loans.

Her payments will be $2100 per month. I also have school loans, less than half hers, plus a healthy salary, but these cars are a luxury.

I'm our backup plan in the event something happens (car dies, accident, illness, etc).

Sure I thought about this before I purchased, but hearing these things over and over has caused me to doubt my decision.

.....try this approach:

buy a car cover, and put the car somewhere in Storage and

don't touch it, don't buy any parts - just let it sit untill the above items

have been accomplished. Someplace DRY, and indoors.

Glad your being reasonable, and trying to maintain this relatonship.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

My first fun car was a 1989 Porsche 911. I loved it, and tried to drive it every day. But - it was a bit lemony. It was in the shop on average once per month for almost an entire year. Finally, when I had a major transmission problem, I'd had enough, and I sold it. That was after spending $14000 on maintenance over a year. My wife is still so mad that if I say Porsche in my house, she starts to get mad.

I then bought something newer, more reliable, with warranty. Then, I decided I wanted a fun car again. I found a 1973 2002 that was just what I wanted. When I bought it, we both understood that it was a toy, but also that it can sit in the garage for long periods of time without running. Everyone is much happier now.

So - like you've learned - wait. There are plenty of cars out there. When you get in a position where this will work, then get another one.

Good Luck with the sale.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

man i feel lucky. my wife encourages my hobby and passion. she loves to see me excited about something. dont sell it. park it and forget about it. otherwise youre going to spend more to get to the point you are now.and you will be back

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com