• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is sad. I gotta sell my car already.

citizenchan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, we talked again at lunch today. Without me prompting her she acknowledged that it's bad for either of us to allow the other person to be such a large influence on our decisions that it would cause us to go back on something like this. She restated that she really felt bad when she saw that I was going to sell the car, and that she had caused me to feel like that was the answer.

She left it open for us to discuss more relative to a lot of areas of our relationship.

I agree with the previous poster that said I was immature for buying the PS3 for those reasons. I agree, but I think that was a way for me - who usually just does whatever to resolve the issue generally at a cost to myself only - to stand up and say I would do something regardless of her opinion, versus the past where I made decisions regardless of my opinion.

I also agree the 02 was a catalyst, and we are still talking about these issues. As I mentioned these are deep-seated and relate to other things like our choice of apartment, a pet we want to get, etc.

I also agree that this thread is waaaay too deep into the life stuff, lets get back to cars shall we?

I've got a million questions about tiny details. I'd rather spend my free time with that than laboring over my problems. ahah.

Thanks guys. Been a great help.

[/i]

I knew I was off to a good start when my current girlfriend looked at the background of my cell phone within the first hour that I met her and she was able to identify the car in it.... and that was from a picture of the engine!

Life is too damn short for huge compromises.

Historically any girl I've dated for a time knows about the car thing. One girl I dated suggested I sell all my cars... and the relationship was dead like a month later (for other reasons, but that was a huge red flag).

Seriously, have a chat. Buy a used Corolla or Civic and keep the '02. If you have to leave it covered or in a garage when money gets tight, then that is a very reasonable option.

Point out that at least you picked a VERY practical 2 door sedan (baby seats belt in without worry) as a toy instead of a small ancient 2 seat convertible.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

but she is griefing me non-stop cuz "it's old,""loud,""makes funny noises," etc.

You guys are all missing the silver lining.

If he gives up the car, in a dozen years or so when she is "old, loud and makes funny noises" she can't bitch when he trades her in on a newer model.

You can't pass this opportunity up.

And Blunt I seem to remember you telling me that you used to park that monstrosity of a pickup you own between one of your 02s and the kitchen window so your wife didn't see it. :-)

- Tony

Get her to help you with it! Make it a bonding experience. Emily is helping me build new doorpanels for my 02.

My girlfriend couldn't care less about cars, but she knows Phoenix makes me happy, and she'd never dream of telling me to sell it. But she does like to come by the garage and listens patiently to me explaining dull nonsense like IAC valves and wideband o2 sensors.

When i was in college, I put my '02 in storage for 4 years until I could afford to work on her again. I'm nearing the end of that now, and thank god because I am in the same place as you - I need to put my money into real investments soon. But for now, I can pay my bills and have my hobby, and for that I'm grateful.

You'll never get back what you put into it, so I'd suggest keeping it and buying something cheap and reliable as a commuter. Also, I agree with Pedro - if you ditch the car, its just gonna be videogames next month or maybe computers after that or who knows what you'll funnel your money and time into. If she doesn't understand what makes you tick, there are bigger issues.

Harrison -

Keep that one. While my wife doesn't mind me working on the car, she's made it very clear that she won't touch the car.

You are fortunate.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Get her to help you with it! Make it a bonding experience. Emily is helping me build new doorpanels for my 02.

My girlfriend couldn't care less about cars, but she knows Phoenix makes me happy, and she'd never dream of telling me to sell it. But she does like to come by the garage and listens patiently to me explaining dull nonsense like IAC valves and wideband o2 sensors.

When i was in college, I put my '02 in storage for 4 years until I could afford to work on her again. I'm nearing the end of that now, and thank god because I am in the same place as you - I need to put my money into real investments soon. But for now, I can pay my bills and have my hobby, and for that I'm grateful.

You'll never get back what you put into it, so I'd suggest keeping it and buying something cheap and reliable as a commuter. Also, I agree with Pedro - if you ditch the car, its just gonna be videogames next month or maybe computers after that or who knows what you'll funnel your money and time into. If she doesn't understand what makes you tick, there are bigger issues.

Harrison -

Keep that one. While my wife doesn't mind me working on the car, she's made it very clear that she won't touch the car.

You are fortunate.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

hey

buying that PS3 WAS NOT immature. you are a grown ass man. you want it, get it. dont let anybody tell you what you want or dont want. its YOUR decision. its your money.

plans are not written in stone. you can change them as you desire. when you desire.

admittedly you are in a relationship. tough. there are still 2 individuals inthat relationship. and both need to account for the other.

bitch at her next time she buys some shoes. bitch and dont stop. some trinket, some doodad, some piece of frivolous jewellry. bitch bitch bitch.

to me it sounds like she is getting worried about her $200K in school bills and is bitching about every little cent as a result. well, nobody put a gun to her head and made her go to a school that costs that much. nobody said she had to be a lawyer. those are her choices. so she needs to live with the consequences of HER decisions to not only be an attourney but to attend that school that costs that much.

as pedro said, sack up man. get your nuts out her purse.

at least youre keeping the car.

enjoy it. or sell it, get depressed and mope around to guilt trip her and get a BMW 3.0Cs instead. thats a real money pit.

'O=00=O'

Long Live The Legend.

My opinion is, if you think she's bitchy now, wait until she gets a law degree.

On a more rational level, I'm glad you're both able to talk this out. I hope it works out for you.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

cuz "it's old,""loud,""makes funny noises," etc.

DAMN!

That relationship won't last. Would it be right for you to dump her in 35 years just because SHE is "old, too loud, and makes funny noises"?

I also liked the part about racking up $200k in law school loans. Maybe she IS right. You two need to go right down to the BMW or Mercedes dealership (gotta keep up appearances, ya know) and get a nice, shiny new 5 series at least. Then, next year when you are adding up all the car payments, insurance, and fuel costs you can look up from your checkbook and say,"gee, maybe that old, loud, funny noise maker was a pretty good deal"

Seriously. If you are able to do all your own work, a properly maintained 02 is a pretty frugal car that can at least get out of it's own way.

When my wife was pregnant, she decided she wanted to get a 4 door car. This meant getting rid of her 73tii. We set our budget at $10k, and decided to test out everything in that range. She went to the Toyota dealer, but never even drove the car. She shut the door of the car (as you would with an 02) and said the car was waaaay to tinny. She did drive the stripped down honda, but it was gutless compared to her tii. She ended up with a used E30 325e 4door. Not a rocket, but definitely more solid than the Toyota and more performance than the Honda. So, there are options out there.

If all you have is old cars, then she does have a point. I bet most of us here on the FAQ have at least one newer car in our stable. Most of the time it belongs to our SO's. (and guess which one is being a pain in the ass right now with all the sensors and indicator lights and fancy door locks and delaminating trim and etc...? Hint, it's not from 1972.)

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

man i feel lucky. my wife encourages my hobby and passion. she loves to see me excited about something. dont sell it. park it and forget about it. otherwise youre going to spend more to get to the point you are now.and you will be back

Yeah my Gf/eventual wife is the same way. She offered to "eat macaroni" for a month if it would help with getting some parts for the 2002. :) lol

She does drive the car too when its out and enjoys it.

• 2 weeks later...