• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures of both tii and non-tii exhaust manifolds?

ClayW

NO.

The exhaust manifold is different for flow. Block is the same. Forget I mentioned the engine.

It's hollowed out wider inside the manifold as the passages are wider. Basically it's hogged out.

Downpipes are the same along with gaskets although you *can* find gaskets with a peanut cutout which I recommend for Tii. Look them up and you'll see the part number is the same for both a Tii and non-Tii car for downpipes.

Guest Anonymous

Strange that the tii manifold is supposedly "hogged" and also has the provision for emissions ports. Was that for the tii's that had emissions equipment?

folks, i've seen that photo from the My20002tii site several times and great mention is made of the larger appearing tubing, and maybe there is a casting lot floating about that really is a bit wider, but i have compared my tii exhaust manifolds (with no emission bosses drilled and tapped) with standard cast exhaust manifolds and they are IDENTICAL.

also, please note that in that particular photo shown in the posting above, the tii manifold LOOKS a fair bit larger. put a ruler next to them and it is obvious that the tii manifold is held closer to the camera and looks artificially longer and wider.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Jerry,

I admit the pic makes the Tii manifold look much larger than it is but there are indeed subtle differences. I remember doing the same comparison years ago myself physically when I had a Tii and was rebuilding it. I had a spare non-Tii manifold laying around and compared it to my 72Tii's manifold and saw a notable difference first hand. The Tii manifold is a free flow unit and the outlet to the downpipe is larger.

The ETK part numbers are the same which is why it is confusing. I remember having email conversations with Keith about this even before he posted/created his site.

The two were clearly different for me. This has come up before and has been argued on both sides mainly due to the part number. Where are my Tii peeps at? Everyone with a Tii chime in!

Hmmm...time to plug www.02again.com again. They're not paying me to advertise (though I DID get a free 02again t-shirt. WOOHOO!); I was just really impressed with Tom's friendly service and well-engineered parts. They're out of stock at the moment, but you all should really consider aquiring one of his tii replacement manifolds:

z86166542.jpg

Not a bad way to spend $300 on your 2002.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

OK, OK, can't argue with side by side physical comparison.

what i suspect has happened is that exhaust manifolds having emission bosses NOT drilled and tapped, but otherwise appearing like the real deal have been mistakenly (by myself and others, on ebay too) misidentified as tii manifolds.

perhaps these 'lookalikes' start life as replacement castings and don't go through the additional machine steps for emission stuff.

gotta be careful i suppose when choosing used equipment. i suppose this means i'm not really the proud owner of a tii exhaust manifold awaiting installation, afterall....?? sigh.....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Jerry,

Truth is I can only explain what I see. ETK confirms what you say. Only one part number. I don't know if the manuals have a misprint or it just doesn't show up anymore. Someone like Maximillian's who's been selling parts for years would know for sure.

In my experience, they are different. Maybe there are multiple molds or maybe there is an ETK part lookup error.

They have to be different as the plugged and unplugged versions would merit a different part number. Only a parts guy who's been doing this for many years could really tell us for sure.

I just did a quick review of the ETK on exhaust components, using the '73 model year. Here is what I found:

Exhaust manifold:tii and non-tiii same part no.

resonator: tii and non-tii different part nos.

down pipe: tii and non-tii same part no.

muffler: tii and non-tii different part nos.

The interesting thing is that my non-tii '73 original motor exhaust manifold had an EGR port, whereas AFAIK the '73 tii did not. So, how can it be the same part no.?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I believe that in many cases Mobile Tradition does not want to stock multiple parts for certain parts that were different originally, but could be interchanged. However, I can't imagine how this strategy would work in a scenario where the parts must be physically different. As you said, someone like Max (is there anyone else...? Maybe Carl Nelson or Leif Anderberg) would know the facts.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga