• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbon Fiber Hood

JohnC

I was in on that group buy and the fit was as good if not better than the stock hood I took off (which wasn't a rusty old piece of crud). Can't really comment on the finish as mine is still in gel coat and the rest of the car is far tattier for it to look anything but superb. Very impressed with these panels - every original detail is intact and unlike Andy I've yet to have any stress cracks.

You'll want to consider using a different hood stay though - the original torsion bar thing is heavy and over-kill for such a light weight panel.

m2ski2.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

Email sent.

Cheers,

Ray

My car has one, John. I'll try to find out... where the car is now (heheheh), if you want to go take a closer look.

Yes Ray, I'd like to take a look if that's possible. Let me know when you find it!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The hood and trunk on the malaga was mounted and we used all the stock stuff to lock it down. The yellow one is mounted without using the torsion spring? on the front mounts. They really are soooooo light. Nick is right I think it was just overkill. You can hold both panels on 1 finger each on the same hand.

OK, after all the positive feedback on the CF hoods, I'm leaning heavily in this direction. I talked to my body guy, he's willing to work with me on this.

Another question: Since the original hood spring is too strong given the light weight of these hoods, what alternatives are out there? Will the original spring cause stress cracks?

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

OK, after all the positive feedback on the CF hoods, I'm leaning heavily in this direction. I talked to my body guy, he's willing to work with me on this.

Another question: Since the original hood spring is too strong given the light weight of these hoods, what alternatives are out there? Will the original spring cause stress cracks?

John - if you're primarily doing this to source a decent quality hood and not because you're after the ultimate in light weight panels or the bling then why not ask them about doing a fibre glass one from the same molds. It was a cheaper option with the group buy (can't remember any figures) and not that much heavier.

There's no off the shelf answer to keeping these hoods open, just a case of using your imagination (or your body guy using his).

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

John, this is my solution to that problem, I think it is the cleanest, lightest, cheapest. I used a prop rod and grommets from a small car hood (I got it from one of our totals as my source, but you can find them at Pick and Pull). I think I had to shorten it slightly and twist it, but it works beautifully:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

FAQ Member # 91

John, this is my solution to that problem, I think it is the cleanest, lightest, cheapest. I used a prop rod and grommets from a small car hood (I got it from one of our totals as my source, but you can find them at Pick and Pull). I think I had to shorten it slightly and twist it, but it works beautifully:

Thanks Mike, that looks like the way to go!

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

John - if you're primarily doing this to source a decent quality hood and not because you're after the ultimate in light weight panels or the bling then why not ask them about doing a fibre glass one from the same molds. It was a cheaper option with the group buy (can't remember any figures) and not that much heavier.

Nick, as long as I'm going the lightweight route, then the "bling" factor is in play. CF is cooler than Fiberglass!

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Not to derail the topic, but I've wondered how a CF hood would react in a crash. I would think that the defromation of the steel hood would be designed into the front crumple zone and replacing it with something more rigid and brittle could be less safe. Or maybe it'd be safer. Anyone out there have real knowledge about this.

Oh, I tried searching and couldn't find a discussion.

Scott