• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock tower replacement.

jbailey

I searched the FAQ about this and didn't really find my answer. I need to replace the shock towers on my '76 2002 and was wondering what all was entailed in having this done. Do the rear quarter panels have to be removed to do this? What about the rear firewall? I looked into it a little today and couldn't really tell. I have come across a couple of people that had used shock towers for sale, but I am afraid to buy from someone without personally seeing the towers in person and they have been too far away for me to do this. Anyone in the Dallas or Houston areas have any?

I am in Shreveport and can get to either area just about any weekend. Also, are the rear wheel wells simply the underside of the shock tower? The bottom of the wheel well area toward the front of the car need to be replaced on mine as I need to replace the rocker panels also and was hoping that replacing the shock towers would take care of this also.

Hi,

Just a quick lunchtime reply.

You'll need to get under the arch and hack out the original spring platform. Then from inside the boot (where the tank was) hack out the actual arch from about 4" above boot floor all the way to the curved tube and back to the rear seat squab/bulkhead. Replace the inner arch with a repair panel seemed on, from underneath fit a replacement platform back into the inner arch - that bit is fun as I had waxoiled all the inside and the welding melted it all over the place. The 1/4 panel should predominantly survive. The lower rear panel under the bumper might be ropey. The tube curvered over the inner arch might need touching up where it meets the boot floor. And on my car the inner arch inside the the cabin was rotted where the spring platform met the inner arch. You may need to use an outer arch repair panel too - I was fitting arch extensions so skipped this stage.

All good fun.

Glen.

If you have access to a copy of the yellow "BMW Companion" there is an article by Jim Rowe of Metric Mechanic fame that has a good step by step illustrated procedure. I used this to do the work on my 74 02 when I replaced the passenger side well six years ago.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

I bought mine when stationed in Colorado Springs at the Borders Book Store. I have also seen them at Barnes and Noble, as well as Books-A-Million. I bet Amazon also has it.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

If you have access to a copy of the yellow "BMW Companion" there is an article by Jim Rowe of Metric Mechanic fame that has a good step by step illustrated procedure. I used this to do the work on my 74 02 when I replaced the passenger side well six years ago.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Steve,

email me through the board, if you can't find one, I can scan the article in mine and send you a PDF of it.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours