• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72tii — Refurbished tail lights

shipm_8

Finally got around to tackle the tail lights. Went the Krylon chrome paint route, and the result looks great. Only problem: found some water stuck inside the left lens. Couldn't figure out how to drain it. Any ideas?

William

'72tii - Tip Top

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

Thanks, Colin. I got the paint at Art City, item KRY-1010. $12.86 with shipping.

http://www.artcity.com/kry-1010.html

Congratulations on getting the '02. And on having a cool job....I spent most of my youth wanting to be a recording engineer.

William

'72tii - Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

Thanks, Colin. I got the paint at Art City, item KRY-1010. $12.86 with shipping.

http://www.artcity.com/kry-1010.html

Congratulations on getting the '02. And on having a cool job....I spent most of my youth wanting to be a recording engineer.

William

'72tii - Tip Top

Thanks for the link William. The recording engineer thing isn't so great right now. Music is pretty much completely devalued and now monkeys mix music on touch screen computers. The jobs are tough to come by and the clients are often wackos! I'm actually going to take about a year break from it with the hope that things will stabilize.

For the third brake light check out http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Scroll down to the bottom. Model 38 is what I installed.

Also, on the tail lights: I upgraded the bulbs with this one http://store.candlepower.com/p3497.html much brighter.

William

'72tii - Tip Top

post-2996-13667588667174_thumb.jpg

post-2996-13667588670416_thumb.jpg

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

Thanks William...GOOD WORK!!! Did you tape it to the windshield? or how did it install on there? Looks like it belongs.

Le

Say, compadre. Have you considered using LED bulbs? For the last couple of years, I have been messing around with a project to set up my tail lights with these bulbs. The advantages are low power consumption, almost infinite durability/reliability, brighter (in some applications...) light, quicker onset with application, and better color.

What I mean by "better color" is that the color of 02 lenses tend to wash out with age and use, to the point where the red in the running light part of the tail lights don't look very red any more. With red LED lamps, you get a deep, rich red color despite the bleached plastic in an older tail light lens. I have NOS lenses that are not washed out, but I have found that using red LED bulbs really makes the color more rich and deep. This might seem trivial to some folks, but I really like the effect.

If anyone is interested in this subject, I can provide pictures and details about the bulbs.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

OK. I will have to sort through my pics, and perhaps take a few of the bulbs that I ultimately used... and perhaps a few comparing the incandescent bulbs and LEDs. I have a more sophisticated camera now than that may produce better results of the lights. I will take some more pics tomorrow night.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga