• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Output Alternator Question

Kidasters

I might be showin my newbie feathers but how do you change from the rubber plug to a single wire hookup on this swap, is there a tech article on this swap?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

For the ground wire to make sense, it needs to be the same size as the wire that you run from the B+ terminal, since its effectively in series with that wire.

10ga is on the low end of reasonable; at 1mOhm/ft you will drop 40mV at 80A over a 6" wire jumper from the alternator to the block, and dissipate 3.2W, which will make your wire quite toasty.

Agreed, presuming that there is no continuity between the alternator mount and the motor. So, go with an 8 or 6 awg ground wire.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I might be showin my newbie feathers but how do you change from the rubber plug to a single wire hookup on this swap, is there a tech article on this swap?

You just need to bypass the original external voltage regulator and connect the D+ circuit (the "blue" wire) to the new alternator (likely a spade connector).

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

If you search a little, you'll find pictures.

There's also a good article on how the Bosch alternators work, specifically the role of the D+ terminal (the one connected to the blue wire) here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_alternator_troubleshoot/914_alternator_troubleshoot.htm

If you're not comfortable cutting into your wiring, then you can make a short bridging cable from the D+ terminal to the blue wire in the plug that went into your old alternator, and then you can leave everything else in place. If you have run-on problems (the car doesn't stop when you turn off the ignition) then you'll need a diode in the bridging cable. Google "anti run on diode" for pictures of what you need to do there.