• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk latch!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My trunk latch is stuck closed anybody have an idea how to get it open. Its 1976 02. Its my first 02 but I've built a lot of aircooled VWs.

My trunk latch is stuck closed anybody have an idea how to get it open. Its 1976 02. Its my first 02 but I've built a lot of aircooled VWs.

If it's just stuck, break out the WD-40 and loosen that baby up.

If it's locked and you don't have the key, you can drill a hole through the lock cylinder. The opening mechanism is triggered by a lever just behind the lock/button. If you drill through the lock, you can fish a rod or coat hanger through and open it. Afterward, you'll have to unscrew the lock ring on the inside and install a new trunk lock. The actual release mechanism should be undamaged.

Good luck and be careful!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Guest Anonymous

I've got the key but it doesn't turn, button doesn't open the trunk I think its locked. Im pretty good at fixing things so I'm hoping I can get it open and fix what might have failed not allowing me to unlock it.

I've got the key but it doesn't turn,

"Newt",

If you are sure you have the right key (ie: you locked it with that key), sometimes a little graphite, wd40, etc. and a lot of wiggling (the key, not you) might be successful.

good luck

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

and if all else fail, a locksmith.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Presuming you have the correct key for the lock (remember that the trunk key is completely different from the ign/door locks), try this:

1. Loosen up the lock assy by squirting some WD 40 or even carburetor cleaner into the keyhole. That'll loosen up any 35 year old grease that's hardened inside.

2. After the lock's had a chance to soak for awhile, try pushing down on the trunk lid while attempting to turn the key. Sometimes that will help by relieving the pressure on the latch assy.

3. If that fails, then you can either drill the lock as has been noted, or check the archives...there's a method of popping the lock with a strategically placed 2x4 and a mallet...or maybe someone will chime in.

Good luck...if you do have to drill the lock, there are lotsa used trunk locks around--and even without a key, you can have one made by a locksmith.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Get a short length of 2x2(12") Press it down (horiz) on the trunk lock tillits flush. Get a BFH and give it a Tap. Maybe help from another person lifting up if its been closed for awhile..... I have done this a dozen times and I know other people that have. No damage has ever been reported.Ithink people ignore this as it destroys any thought of security for your trunk.....

Guest Anonymous

It couldn't possibly be that easy! If so then you are the man. Thieves probably couldn't even figure out that you just push the button and it opens. Once I get this thing open and fix the lock I probably won't ever lock it. But I will try your trick and if it works then I owe you a sandwich.