• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob questions for potential new owner

KaptKaos

I am seriously looking at getting a 2002. I am not new to owning old cars, but having done so, I know that there is some "peril" that can be avoided.

I am looking for a pre-76 carbed car. I don't want to deal with injection or the parts.

Mostly, I am looking for some insight into what parts are NLA, hard to find or things that I should be wary of when looking at cars. I know the rear shock towers and rust in general are things to check. I am curious about other things like: rubber seals, interior bits, radiators, lenses or anything else that's NLA. For example, for the longest time, Porsche 914 front targa seals were unavailable. If you bought a car with a bad one, you could expect an $500 hit to find a usable front seal.

Also, what are the rebuild costs for engine and trans? Any availability issues there?

I've read the FAQs and they are of course helpful, but I am looking for the kinds of things that you find out after you've owned one for a while.

Thanks in advance.

-Joe

Los Angeles

Looking for an '02

'73 914 1911 - Phoenix Red "Charlotte"

'7X 914 2.7/6 - Black Primer "player to be named later"

'73 Capri 2.8 - Rolling Tetanus

'91 Jetta 2.0 16V GLi (Rainy Day Car - now smooshed)

almost everything is available from maxamillian. http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&series=114&body=Lim&model=1600GT&zone=ECE

just browse around to find parts that are NLA, and yooul find whic parts are harder to come by

Depending on what you want the car for - there's a workaround for just about any NLA part. If you're looking for a completely original example, that will be a bit harder to find and maintain. Keeping a daily driver going can be done without going broke. Full restoration can run from $20k - $50k, and people have been known to pay more (they're the hands off type owners). Engine rebuild is $2k - $5k, or more depending on how much work you "need" done. Transmission rebuilds are $1k - $3k depending if it's standard 4-speed or something else. Five-speeds from early '80s 320i fit in pretty easily, some modification required.

I don't recall any $500-for-a-used-seal type issues right off the top of my head. The door seals will get about $300-$400 for new ones. The gas tank is nla, but used ones are easy enough to get from the vendors who have lots of dismantled car parts. New wiring harnesses are NLA. Used body panels for standard '02s may take a little shopping for one close by, but in LA you're okay. Only rebuilt steering boxes are available, and there may be a wait for that. Good used ones take a little shopping, but they're out there.

Probably the hardest part will be finding a low-rust or rust-free '02 that hasn't been altered in some way. With tinkerers' cars, you never know what you'll find that's been "improved" by a PO.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

For a regular 02, the only really expensive hard-to-find part is a crack-free dash. But if you're not doing a full restore, who cares!

The other expensive stuff are kugelfischer injection pumps and rare racing options (QR steering box, CR dogleg 5-speed, alpina bits, and so on).

IE will rebuild regular steering boxes for like $400 according to their site, but I found a good one in a junkyard for like 20 bucks.

Most other stuff is pretty readily available from several sources.

and why waste money on paying for a tranny rebuild, when you can find another transmission for a couple hundred bucks? Lots of people have pitched 4-speeds to put in 5-speeds.

Motors are also found pretty easily, but you can rebuild your own for relatively cheap if you want to keep the numbers matching.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

read these two books first -

then start attending car shows and meeting 02 owners,

one show will set you free on your 2002 quest.

128106.jpg

Author: R.M. Clarke

Restore it right the first time! This information-packed guide

provides all the information you need to restore your prized

BMW. Contents cover 1600 to 2002 turbo models from the

mid-60s to the mid-70s, and include detailed information

on restoring bodywork, chassis, engine and trim. Includes

production changes, color schemes and history. Sftbd.,

8"x 10 3/4", 224 pgs., 230 b&w ill.

Format: Softbound

Pages: 224

Length: 8w x 11h

ISBN-13: 9781855204515

ISBN: 1855204517

Catalog ID: 128106A

Regular Price: $34.95

Discount Price: $31.46

123164.jpg

Author: R.M. Clarke

Subtitled: A Comprehensive Guide to the Classic

Sporting Saloon. This book profiles the BMW before

the 2002, the history of the 2002 68 to 76, selling

the 2002, press reports, the tuned 2002, a buyers

guide, running a 2002, beneficial mods, restoring

a 2002, the 2002 in competition, technical specs

and more. Hdbd., 6x 8 1/4, 176 pgs., b&w &

color ill. throughout.

Format: Hardbound

Pages: 176

Length: 6w x 8.5h

ISBN-13: 9781855203341

ISBN: 1855203340

Catalog ID: 123164A

Regular Price: $24.95

Discount Price: $22.46

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks for the tips. This is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

I am going to be looking for a daily driver. I am not a concours kinda guy.

As for DAPO Mods, I have seen some really bad ones. I hope to mod the car a bit with some handling and performance upgrades, but nothing too radical. Likely a weber carb, little bigger rims/tires, springs, sway bars, but nothing too crazy. I usually start with brake upgrades and go from there.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Next question: There are parts across many european makers that are essentially the same, but with a different part number. For example, a Volvo windshield washer pump is the same bosch pump that a 924/944 uses. Obviously, the Volvo part is cheaper. Has anyone compiled a list like this?

-Joe

Los Angeles

Looking for an '02

Joe,

Come up to Bimmerfest next month 5/3 in Santa Barbara, https://eventreg.bimmerfest.com/events.php?action=eventdetail&EvId=1. Hang out with the 02 crowd for the day, they will be happy to answer all your questions.

Thanks Steve.

I hope to have an '02 before then :D

-Joe

Los Angeles

Looking for an '02

Joe,

Come up to Bimmerfest next month 5/3 in Santa Barbara, https://eventreg.bimmerfest.com/events.php?action=eventdetail&EvId=1. Hang out with the 02 crowd for the day, they will be happy to answer all your questions.

Thanks Steve.

I hope to have an '02 before then :D

Swap & show on Saturday 5/13 - location this year is only about 2 miles north of SFO (almost walking distance). Event usually gets a large turnout - upward of 100 '02s, including all the low production variants (tourings, cabrio's, turbos, etc), and a pretty good selection of parts in the swap meet area.

http://www.bayarea02.com/events/events.html#5

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Best advice is something I can never follow myself !

Buy the best one you can afford, and if it comes down to that, buy the cleanest body you can find over good mechanicals.

Rust and paint are EXPENSIVE to fix nowadays, unless you are god's gift to bodywork. Mechanicals on the other hand are dirt cheap compared to almost every other car....

So if you "luck out" on a $500 02, you will pay sooner or later... Me I bought a $4500 one, but I should have bought a $10k one and have it nice from day 1 ! Restorations are overrated, they suck (money, time, nerves, patience)... Buy the best car you can afford NOW.

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Best advice is something I can never follow myself !

Buy the best one you can afford, and if it comes down to that, buy the cleanest body you can find over good mechanicals.

Rust and paint are EXPENSIVE to fix nowadays, unless you are god's gift to bodywork. Mechanicals on the other hand are dirt cheap compared to almost every other car....

So if you "luck out" on a $500 02, you will pay sooner or later... Me I bought a $4500 one, but I should have bought a $10k one and have it nice from day 1 ! Restorations are overrated, they suck (money, time, nerves, patience)... Buy the best car you can afford NOW.

Absolutely right. Unless you like working on them more than driving them, spend a little extra and let the previous owner absorb the cost of the restoration. I have had my 76 since new, and have a huge list of stuff I would want to do if I had the time and could afford it. (Which never happens)

When I bought the Touring I paid a little extra and made sure that there was nothing that "had" to be done, and the paint and body were in superb shape. I have never regretted that decision, and spent the last two years IN the car, driving....not UNDER the car working on it. The greatest joy of 02 ownership is driving them...

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Yeah, I understand. I did that with my first 914 and drove it for 4 years without having to do anything major.

But I do like to work on them. Learning is the fun part.

I have a project right now that is a painting project. I'll likely move to body work after that. I'd prefer not to have to deal with rust, but my budget might preclude that. We'll see. :D

I was serious about that parts list though. Anything from other makes fit the 02?

-Joe

Los Angeles

Looking for an '02