• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

severe gunk found in tii gas tank, what can i do?

jerry

i'm trying to resurrect what appears to be a minimal to no rust tii gas tank. i suspect the thick layer of varnished/tarry gas residue acted as a rust inhibitor. i've never seen such a disgusting layer of gunk in a gas tank.

does this stuff respond to boiling at a radiator shop? it's really thick. i've tried to scrape some of it out but there's no way i can reach all the nooks.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

does this stuff respond to boiling at a radiator shop?

Nope.

Send your tank to Glenn Looper in Rockville, Maryland. I swear by him and his work.

http://loopersc.com/gastank.html

You can mess around with your tank all that you want, trying to save some pennies. Or, you can send it to Glenn, and he'll get it right the first time - and you'll never, ever have to worry about a thing, ever again.

Some radiator shops will clean fuel tanks, I pulled the tank out of my former 73 Bavaria that was a barn find. It had fuel and crap in the tank from 11 years of storage. The radiator shop close to me in So Cal did a great job cleaning it out and sealing it.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner