• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What engines can you swap into a 2002?

Guest Anonymous

You can swap anything you want really. Its all a matter of your mechanical ability or debth of your pockets. Typically you see the M20 and S14 primarily due to their size/weight. However, I've seen pretty much every kind of BMW motor wedged into the 2002.

"What kind of engine can you swap" sounds like a carry over from the American car realm where you have pretty much your pick of aftermarket parts to wedge whatever year motor inside whatever year/make car. That's definitely not the case with the 2002.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Look over at the project blog section. There are people doing different swaps. From the Honda F22 to the BMW M42 from a late E30 318i. I personally am really considering a 12a or 13b rotary. I was at the junkyard today looking at an old FC. I forgot my measuring tape so I was not able to get the length, width or height of the 13b. D'oh. But the engine is very compact and the exhaust exits the same way as an M10. Maybe one day I'll do it.................

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

The 12a or 13b will fit EASY. Tranny is pretty long if I recall correctly. I saw a circa 69 Austin mini with one. You can only really do one mod to these engines, aside from bolt-ons like turbo/headers/etc: Porting/Polishing. Depending on how much you do it, you could add as much as 300hp. Course, you won't have an engine for long, but it can be done.

JJ, since we're talking crazy swaps you probably won't do, why not go with a porsche Midengine set up. Or 2x Gxr 1000r engines.

M10 derivative, the S14 is mechanically a bolt in.

As for other, non-M10 based engines (BMW or otherwise), standard engine swap issues will determine whether a swap is practical or not - including (but not limited to) the following:

- engine dimensions (height, length, width)

- transmission adaptablity (or dimensions of the trans that comes with the engine to be installed)

- engine weight

- interference issues (exhaust to steering, oil pan to front crossmember, etc)

- direction of engine rotation

- driveline durability with engines of significantly higher power output

- electrical hookup issues (bigger factor with later computer controlled engines and electronic speedos).

In the end it's really an matter of time, cost, fabrication skills, and what you want to use the car for - if you're willing to spend the time and money, it wouldn't be impossible to wedge a blown big-block Chevy into an '02, but it probably wouldn't be a practical street, autocross or track car.

If the intent is to build a car for any sort of competitive purpose, be sure to study the class rules with care - it's very possible to dump a LOT of money into a car, then discover that the way the car was built forces it to run in a class where it's totally non-competitive.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

JJ, since we're talking crazy swaps you probably won't do, why not go with a porsche Midengine set up. Or 2x Gxr 1000r engines.

Nah, go with the Suzuki Hayabusa. One with a turbo is all you need for an honest 275 to the rear wheels, and it comes with a sequential trans in the bargain...

-Karl

'73 '02