• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got had. My car is salvaged.

I thought I could trust the guy. He seemed pretty open about the problems. When he said the title was clean I believed him. When he must've misplaced the title, I wasn't too concerned. Finally got it registered today and it is indeed a salvage title. At $6000, I think I way overspent. I feel so-so about it.

On one hand I spent a lot of money for something that now has diminished value to most people but myself. On the other hand, I've got a great runner, that made it past my evaluation as well as the eyes of the experts at Motorspeed, and the car is, for all intents and purposes, in great shape and runs extremely well.

So, making lemonade, I am trying to tell myself I made a good purchase regardless, because I love the car and it works great. But still, there is that unfortunate twinge of pain when I think that I could've gotten the same thing for less or with the prestige/value of being original and clean and that I've been taken, put over, conned, what have you, out of my money and trust.

Bleh.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it is a solid car, and fun to drive, the only problem comes if you are going to sell it. Then you might lose some money.

Go find a "twisty" road and drive it, you will soon forget the pain of being misled.

With a salvage title, it may limit how much more money you want to sink into it. But, like I said, if you don't intend to sell it soon, it is not an issue.

I have owned two 02's, one since new, and haven't sold any yet. Just can't part with them.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I admit I do not understand the implications of a "salvage " title. I don't think we have that in Virginia. But you have an admittedly nice car that, but for the "salvage" lable, you'd be very happy with. Seems a little like insisting your wife is a virgin at marriage - does it really matter?

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

The title is a document that proves ownership, it states nothing of current condition of a 30 year old car. I'd rather have a nice car with a salvage title than a rust bucket with a " clean " title.

Many states do away with titles anyway after a number of years, 15 in the case of NH.

Have fun, enjoy your car.

Feeling so-so is understandable. Remember a salvage title could mean it was possibly stolen and the interior stripped out etc... If the body is straight, no rust, passed inspection of pro's, I would feel better about that than one that was not and had a good title.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Fuggedaboudit and have some fun! Think about that guy whose clean title 02 is STILL on jack stands...and have some MORE fun!

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Thanks everyone. Your support is great. Went a long way toward making me feel better. While I wish it hadn't happened. Oh well, I'll forget about. already feeling better.

I bought the car cuz I wanted it haha. I don't intend on selling it, but I also didn't consider it an investment... More of an expense heh. Well, thanks very much for the advice.

Guest Anonymous
I thought I could trust the guy. He seemed pretty open about the problems. When he said the title was clean I believed him. When he must've misplaced the title, I wasn't too concerned. Finally got it registered today and it is indeed a salvage title. At $6000, I think I way overspent. I feel so-so about it.

After rereading you post, I am not so sure you have been "had."

Taken at face value, you bought a vehicle with a "clean" title. What did you take that to mean? To most buyers, a clean title means a title that is free and clear of any encumberances. Was there a lien on the vehicle? Did the owner have the legal right to sell the vehicle? If not, then the title was clear. If the seller represented that the title was something other than that, then MAYBE you have a material misrepresentation and you should ask for some of your money back. The fact that you bought the car without a title in hand is your issue. Did someone force you to buy the car?

There were two parties to your transaction and neither of you has been really hurt or in the wrong. Buyer's remorse can be overcome by accepting the situation or selling the car. Same as if you caused an accident. We can all sympathize that you did not get the steal of the century, yet by your own admission, you got some value for your money. These things happen.

Guest Anonymous
Seems a little like insisting your wife is a virgin at marriage - does it really matter?

Marriage is a little different than buying a car. Unless you are talking about an arranged marriage, marriage should be premised upon attraction and trust. My wife and I knew each other well before getting married. If I am going to be surprised, I want to be pleasantly surprised. I do not wish to find out, after my vows, that the wife led a double life, served hard time and changed her identity. I doubt my wife would appreciate the surprise that I had a second family.

Its one thing to overlook faults, its another to find out untruths. No one likes being the recipient of a misrepresentation - except when its an underestimation of lottery winnings! Assuming something is one thing. Being lied to, is something entirely different.

I thought I could trust the guy. He seemed pretty open about the problems. When he said the title was clean I believed him.

But still, there is that unfortunate twinge of pain when I think that I could've gotten the same thing for less or with the prestige/value of being original and clean and that I've been taken, put over, conned, what have you, out of my money and trust.

Bleh.

two things that i would take out of this.

at least you were conned; that is, you did not buy a salvage title from ignorance. you tried to insure the title was clear. it seems to me much worse to learn the disadvantages of a salvage title when your new-bought baby is your first experience.

secondly, all bad experiences have lessons to be learned. now you know not to fork over without first seeing the valid, clear title. so you have come away with important experience, relatively cheaply gained.

hth, and enjoy your car.

robert w.

Well, lets make three things clear.

1. I agree with all of you.

2. I never suggested that I am entitled to any refund, nor that I was seeking recourse.

3. I clearly explained that I was remiss over the title and took the seller's word.

I did say "conned," but only in the sense that my trust was taken advantage of. Indeed, I was not told about the salvage - a lie by the intentional omission of truth. But I also did not take measures to find the truth.

I was, simply, fooled. I never said I was coerced into that position, though, and that is quite different.

In the end, I learned that I should insist upon the basics in similar transactions. Yet, I also consider the fact that, if the salvage was truly a deal-breaker for me I would've sorted it out prior to signing and without having even driven the car. I didn't though, and I'm not all that bummed anymore, especially after all the advice and support helped me to realize that I based my decision upon the condition of the car, not the purported history.

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous
at least you were conned; that is, you did not buy a salvage title from ignorance. you tried to insure the title was clear. . . . Now you know not to fork over without first seeing the valid, clear title. so you have come away with important experience, relatively cheaply gained. hth, and enjoy your car. robert w.

Your heart may be in the right place, but you are confused.

The seller evidently did have a clear or clean title. A clear title does not mean the vehicle has a perfect pedigree or that it was never salvaged.

- It means the seller has the legal right to sell the vehicle.

- It means there are no outstanding liens on the vehicle. Anyone can have a CLEAR title to a salvaged car. If the vehicle has a salvaged title, of course it MAY diminish the saleability of the vehicle but it does NOT make the vehicle unsalable or even conditionally saleable.

- It usually means the particular State has issued a new "salvage" title because under the laws of that state someone/thing determined the vehicle to be a total loss. (A total loss may be a legal fiction.)

hth

M.

If I am going to be surprised, I want to be pleasantly surprised. I do not wish to find out, after my vows, that the wife led a double life, served hard time and changed her identity. I doubt my wife would appreciate the surprise that I had a second family.

but...you fell in love with her or who you believed she was ...didn't you...if all the things you said come true in the future...will not love her any longer...? would she not love you?

surprises in relationships are seldom "pleasant"...we tend to show our best sides when courting...the car salesman is no different