• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got had. My car is salvaged.

Guest Anonymous

IF you bought SUBJECT TO your receipt of a non-salvage title, then that condition was NOT met. Deal is still subject to recission or partial refund. According to your version of events, seller did not fully comply with terms and you just found out. Act now!

In any event, it couldn't hurt to contact seller and express your disappointment privately.

YOU DIDN'T BUY CAR FROM A SURFER IN SO. CAL?? PIERRE, YOU OUT THERE??

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous
To wit, there's a forum for everyone.http://cuthisnutsoff.com/

Have you no decency? Next you will be linking us to pinking shears and hog rings.

Thanks for the post... Not only were the replys colorful, but it reminded me how important it is to check the basics as well. I found a '73 tii for cheap, and I think I'll put it in writing when I pick it up...

All the same though, I hope you get some money back. When I bought my M3 the guy said everything works (as they all do) and when we drove it to get the parts for it out of storage, the climate control didn't work... Long story short, he gave me some Benjamins back, and I reconnected the plug he disconnected by pulling the radio when I got home... Everyone was happy!

Aric Vander Werff

1973 2002tii 1972 2002

Given 2 identical cars, one with a salvaged tilte, one without, the salvaged car will be worth less. In some cases, as much as 50% less.

Older cars like our 2002s have prices ALL OVER THE PLACE. Giving a value to a salvaged 2002 in great condition is difficult. They are getting rare and no 2 cars are identical.

My 69 is salvaged. I bought it cheap because it was salvaged. It became my track car. I have full coverage insurance on it. Insurance companies insure old cars on declared value, not on market value. Mine is insured for $5000. I could have picked $20,000. Your premium are based in part on that value.

People have offered me $5000 for my 69. I tell them it has a salvaged title. They don't care. (It's not for sale for $10,000.)

Enjoy the car. You trusted the seller. He pulled a fast one on you. You may have negociated a lower price, or not. Live and learn and go on. The aggravation is not worth it.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Yeah. The more talk I hear of getting some money back, the more I want to go to him and say WTF. On the other hand, the frustration isn't worth it for me. I haven't got solid proof that he never said it to me verbally, nor did either of us sign a bill of sale that implies the car is not salvaged. So, I'm taking the "live and learn" stance you mention. Sucks I have to live a few thousand poorer for it, but whatever. I'll get over it quickly.

Thanks for the awesome replies, and ensuing nutripping.

1. The salvage title will hurt you in an insurance dispute. It's hard enough to get an insurance company to give you what an 02 is worth and that salvage title means that you'll get a check for less than $500 if you get hit, with no recourse. THAT is where the salvage title counts. You basically paid $6000 for $500 worth of equity.

2. Even if the guy didn't understand or know about the car's salvage title, he should still make it right. Ignorance is not an option when someone is paying you. In my case, I bought my current car for $1200 (blown head gasket on a 108K mile `76). When I got the title, the VIN was wrong. He said that it had a clean title, and didn't realize that he was wrong. He ended up spending at least $500 to get me the correct, CLEAN title.....on a $1200 car.

Did I go to war to get him to make it right? No....I was as helpful as I could be.....though he paid for it all and did it as quickly as possible.

Hope that helps.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Guest Anonymous

You aren't saying the cat "et" your title are you? The look on that cat's face may suggest why the vehicle was salvaged! Is that the same as an interior that is savaged?

Speaking of salvaged interiors, how does a tubal ligation get treated out west in CalIfornIa? lol