• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

windshields green vs clear

eaker02

74tii

Looked through the archives, but didn't see what I was looking for. Got to replace the front windshield due to it breaking as we were taking it out.

Was getting quotes and there seems to be a green glass and clear glass. Green was $30 cheaper.

I don't think mine is green, but is there a difference? one better than the other, glare? the way it's made? one look better than the other?

My old 75 had green driver and side windows, just don't remeber if it had a green windshield.

thanks

Ron

i sell OE windshields and the price is the same for green or clear.

not sure if eithers better but it should match the rest of the glass. in other words you shouldnt have a green windshield with clear side and rear glass.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

i sell OE windshields and the price is the same for green or clear.

not sure if eithers better but it should match the rest of the glass. in other words you shouldnt have a green windshield with clear side and rear glass.

Are clear fronts still available? I have all clear glass and a green front windscreen because I was told (this was about 8 years ago) that BMW only made green now.

Did I look like an idiot for no good reason?

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I didn't like the fit of the PPG ones I've done and though I don't have experience w/ Pilkington I think the cost vs. value and fit of the OE BMW ones are the best deal out there.

Also only use OE gaskets, again they fit best w/o leaks.

in the automotive windshield world 2002 windshields are among the easiest. I do them by myself. I recomend saving the install money and doing it yourself.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

The beauty of installing the windsheild yourself is that you save all that money on the labor. Fortunately, that is all you will remember when it comes time to replace it again. For some reason I tend to forget all the bitching & moaning & sore fingers over several years.

Really, it's not too bad of a job.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

around 71 or so they went over to very slightly tinted glass. Your 74 should definitely have tinted glass. The difference is difficult to note unless you see clear and tinted cars side by side.

I was able to get a new BMW-marked clear windshield for my 69 about six years ago--took a week or two, but I got it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 11 years later...

Reviving old thread.

My 74 needs a new windshield.

MA has mandatory glass coverage, so Hagerty will pay for OEM if I want.

Problem is finding Siglia  now is pretty tough.

PO gave me a Siglia windshield with the car. My windows are slight green tint.

This one is very light green, with a green band across the top.

Anyone ever hear of that.

The part nos are different, but both DOT M91s.

Just curious.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

W & N have the green band one. I used to have a clear one with a tinted band over the top on my Touring years ago; very handy for sunny early mornings & late afternoons.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/front-window-green-tinted-sedan-only-with-dark-green-upper-part-you-need-1-for-1-car-51-25-07.html

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17