• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering box install tips

kprocyk

Use a "pickle bar" (you can rent them free at AutoZone) to dis lodge it fro the steering linkage.

Use a good quality gear oil and make sure that the oil cap is new, these boxes have a tendency to leak.

If you are feeling ambitious you could reinforce the engine mount next to where the steering box sits.

Just my 2 cents,

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

you are going to need to get some forward and aft movement on the steering box input shaft to remove the rubber coupling (mini-guibo, i suppose). to do this, i find it's easiest to just 'bite the bullet' and free up your steering mechanism.

do this by unbolting the two bolts securing the ingnition armature assembly to the dash, then unbolt the four nuts holding the steering rod support bracket to the firewall. i think there's also one crimping clamp (don't know what else to call it) that has one 8 or 10mm bolt that needs to be loosened, too.

it's really not that much work. the underdash panels will need to be removed of course.

one the steering shaft is free to move you can unbolt two of the four nuts on the rubber steering coupler. wedge a cold chisel in the slot of one of the coupler brackets to open it up slightly as you knock the shaft rearward to liberate it from the bracket. At this point you should have a clear shot at the steering box to remove and repair.

installation is the reverse, as they say...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa