• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

air cleaner: is grey the new black?

golf73

i have a '73 sedan and the air cleaner is black. i have also seen other cars around the same vintage that had a light grey paint on them. wondering if there was a specific point in production where the factory changed from one to the other, or if it was just a matter of them using what was available?

mine could use stripping and repaint so i want to paint it back to whatever it's 'supposed' to be.

The first year at least, 67, had a black air cleaner housing. Mine (original) is black and the factory brochure I have for 67 shows black. My '70 1600 had a light grey housing, but it looked like a repaint not original.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

the earliest 1600s had black air cleaners, then sometime in late 67 or early 68 they changed to grey. All the single barrel Solex 2002s had grey air cleaners, and the two barrel ones were grey until 1975 (I think) when they reverted to black--definintely on the 76s, and I think 75s also. The lids were subtly different on these air cleaners--radial ribs while the earlier (grey) ones have smooth lids.

So...take your pick. Krylon makes a nice medium grey (smoke grey, I think) that's a great match for the factory grey paint.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So...take your pick. Krylon makes a nice medium grey (smoke grey, I think) that's a great match for the factory grey paint.

That is good info, I was wondering what would be a good match. Thanks.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours