• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

deep or shallow front grill for european headlight buckets?

Armond

just scored a pair of euro headlight buckets. I dont believe I have the "deep" style grills. TIA

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

all the side grilles are the same us or euro., plastic or aluminum

so what's the purpose of making Shallow and deep style grills?

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

There were a few variations on the Euro light bucket assemblies - if you're talking the WHOLE Euro set-up - not just the aftermarket H4 stuff.

One series of part numbers for Hella brand assemblies

One series of part numbers for Bosch brand assemblies

There's at least a third one used in the pre 74 carsm that I've seen - using really wacky mongo sized bulbs as well.

then..there are different bucket assemblies for the Euro plastic grille era cars I think.

Now....with that said - as long as you have either Hella or Bosch early type bucket assemblies - you'll want the deep grilles (used on US cars until mid 72 I believe) - this makes the glass come FLUSH to the grille opening - no "chrome rings" used - just a rubber gasket.

it's a sweet look. Cost me plenty to get 'em new a few years ago for Emily....5w city lights and all. it's fun to shut the car off and flick the signal switch from left to right and see the car "wink" left and right through the headlights. :-) heh heh!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

There were a few variations on the Euro light bucket assemblies - if you're talking the WHOLE Euro set-up - not just the aftermarket H4 stuff.

One series of part numbers for Hella brand assemblies

One series of part numbers for Bosch brand assemblies

There's at least a third one used in the pre 74 carsm that I've seen - using really wacky mongo sized bulbs as well.

then..there are different bucket assemblies for the Euro plastic grille era cars I think.

Now....with that said - as long as you have either Hella or Bosch early type bucket assemblies - you'll want the deep grilles (used on US cars until mid 72 I believe) - this makes the glass come FLUSH to the grille opening - no "chrome rings" used - just a rubber gasket.

it's a sweet look. Cost me plenty to get 'em new a few years ago for Emily....5w city lights and all. it's fun to shut the car off and flick the signal switch from left to right and see the car "wink" left and right through the headlights. :-) heh heh!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul,

Do you have a pic that you can share with us? This sounds pretty sweet.

Thanks

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

I looked for a photo of Emily close up before posting....couldn't find one. I'll snap some this week. They're definitely a cleaner unique look compared to the US ones. I never realized how clumbsy looking the American stuff was til I got rid of it. FYI - Mine are Bosch - at the time BMW wanted a bit less for Bosch vs. Hella part numbers.

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Yep!

In fact - when wired correctly - the little rubber grommets at the 6 O clock position behind the headlight actually "make sense" - no longer having a parasitic non-grommeted wiring addition feeding the turn signal assembly "USA" type parking light.

Another item of note - I recall US buckets being uniquely left and right, whereas the Euro ones I have are the same part number for each side.

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

very difficult to tell apart, so if you take yours off, mark 'em so you won't mix them up...Otherwise the lights will point everywhere but up the road (ask me how I learned that!).

And Paul, the "mongo-sized" bulbs you mentioned (pingpong ball sized) are the pre-halogen Euro bulbs whose use goes all the way back to the late 20s. I have a Marchal headlight that's probably from a late 20s Amilcar that uses that bulb.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I did the "Euro" bucket setup with a hi/low HID setup. I like how simple the bucket assembly is.

I also added Lamin-X to help protect against rock chips.

Cris

post-178-13667589525771_thumb.jpg

post-178-13667589526665_thumb.jpg

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793