• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition locked up!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This morning when I shut off the car to do my neccesry shopping for lunch today the key came out before I shut the motor off. Then the ignition switch locked up. The key doesn't turn at all. With the ignition in the run I had to stall to shut it down. Now the car is atleast off but I can't turn the ignition switch either way to start again or lock the steering colum. Is there a way to unlock the ignition switch if the key doesn't work. Mostly for now I just need to get my car home so I can put in the new steering colum with switch I will buy later today. I'd rather not wait all day for AAA to show up. Im also trying to avoid breaking anything.

If you can get to the back of the lock you can remove the electrical part of the switch by removing 2 flat blade screws. This may require removing the panels under the steering column. There is a plastic piece with a square hole in the center of the switch, that can be turned with a large screwdriver or reasonable facsimile to start and run the car to get you home or wherever you need to go. Hopefully the steering lock is not activated, otherwise you can drive it. The lock can be removed by punching or drilling out the small pin in the bottom, just under the key slot.

Hope that helps, good luck

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Guest Anonymous

. . . and your ignition switch is not in the OFF position, you need to insert the key upside down from the normal position.

the key. As was pointed out, when the key comes out with the ign on (and it will when the lock is old and worn) it has to be reinserted upside down from the normal way--i.e. the indents on the key are up instead of down.

Hopefully you didn't force it in...if it was inserted correctly and still jammed, you might try gently tapping the side of the lock housing (remove the plastic or metal surround so you can actually strike the diecast lock cylinder housing) with a lead or brass hammer. And try drizzling a little lock lubricant down the keyhole (Lockeze, or even WD40). It sounds like one of the tumbler pins has stuck. Even jiggling the key sometimes helps.

The other thing that might have happened is the little pot metal piece inside the lock that prevents you from selecting the start position without turning the key to off may have broken, thus jamming the lock. That happened to me, but it only prevented me from turning the key to start, and it would come out. If this is the case, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy of a column I wrote on dismantling and repairing the ignition lock cylinder.

Hope a little whanging and lubricant does the trick, though.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite