• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pigeons under my hood?

kremington

Not really, but there's this mysterious noise that my 74 tii makes when the engine is cold - oddly enough a bit like a pigeon that's being squeezed... silly I know, but I can't think of a better description. The noise only occurs when the car is accelerating/decelerating btwn ~2K-3K RPM and it's pretty loud. The noise cannot be reproduced at a stand still revving the engine - which makes it really hard for me to diagnose. The noise subsides when the engine is hot. I'm thinking a vacuum issue or a possibly a valve. Any ideas or guesses? Thanx!

Keith

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii

Perhaps your alternator is too loose? or alternator bearing going bad

Hmmm.. didn't think of that...I'll check the belt tension. If that were the case, could it only occur while driving? The darnedest thing is that this noise doesn't occur when the car is parked and engine revving... Much appreciated. Thanx

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii

Perhaps your alternator is too loose? or alternator bearing going bad

Hmmm.. didn't think of that...I'll check the belt tension. If that were the case, could it only occur while driving? The darnedest thing is that this noise doesn't occur when the car is parked and engine revving... Much appreciated. Thanx

that means it depends on the load put on the engine (not the RPM), which often means it has something to do with the fuel supply, or perhaps the air needed. It might also indicate it has something to do with the drivetrain thats not engaged while in neutral...

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

• 1 year later...

If your throttle pivot shaft isn't lubed where it hits the firewall,

it can squeak when the motor's not running smoothly.

If your choke's a bit rich, it'll roughen things up, and the vibration

will cause the pivot to make noise.

Do I get the 'long shot' award or what???

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You do.

Because tii's don't have chokes.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

If your throttle pivot shaft isn't lubed where it hits the firewall,

it can squeak when the motor's not running smoothly.

If your choke's a bit rich, it'll roughen things up, and the vibration

will cause the pivot to make noise.

Do I get the 'long shot' award or what???

t

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Wow, more than a year has gone by since I first posted up this question... Thanks to all for creatively coming up w/ some likely causes. I've had the car up at Casey Motorsports for the past 6 months or so getting some professional treatment. When I get the car back around the end of summer I'll check out your suggestions and leave feedback. Thanx again!

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii