• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well....it was never meant to be I guess

So I'm trying to finish off my car for the end of the month, so I can join the Dayton, OH caravan down to NC for V at the V, and it just doesn't seem like I'll be able to get her done....

At every turn, something else goes wrong...I can't seem to get anything to work my way.....2 steps forward...3 steps back....

My garage is in a shambles.......

I rush to get something done, and I fuck something else up.....

I GIVE UP!!!!

I'm taking a break......if I don't I fear that rage will get the best of me and I'll light the thing on fire.....

I would appreciate some moral support, as it feels like I'm pushing water uphill with my dick....

your way.

Personal opinion, but I generally find that when things are pushed faster than it's realistically practical to get them to go, the mistakes outweigh the benefits. You'll get it done, and if there isn't time to make V at the V this year, think how ready you'll be for the event in '09......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

This is one of those times when it is difficult to realize "this is supposed to be fun". Not a huge deadline-driven hassle that bums you out by stressing you out.

I agree that re-assessing the situation, and re-prioritizing in light of other things in your life, could be in order.

It will be worth it in the end.

It will be worth the bumps in the road (so regretting saying that in a car-related context).

You'll get it done.

Scott in Cincy

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Guest Anonymous

One of the great things about '02 folks is how many are really unconcerned about the perfection the car. Nearly everyone has had a car "in progress" at some point so there is probably great understanding of an incomplete restoration. How about just getting it road worthy, driving to NC, enjoying the event, and pick up where you left off when you get home, re-invigorated by a weekend of '02 goodness? Good luck.

Roger

Roger

1972 2002 VIN 2575613

2002 325xi, daily driver

1992 525i, traded

1982 320i, traded

1973 tii, sadly traded

1971 1600, traded

I know the feeling - some days it just seems like nothing gets done and you've just moved backwards. I remember for me one time, id just installed the heaterbox which was a real pain in the ass. Id hooked everything up and it was ready to go. I sit in the drivers seat thinking "great, another thing down, not long to go now" and press in the clutch pedal - It feels very soft and doesnt return much at all. I look down and notice the spring was broken. Because of the way my heaterbox is reinforced, it makes it imposible to to take out the bolt for the clutch pedal which holds the clutch return spring. This meant i had to take out the heaterbox, drive an hour away to my parts car and grab the spring, come back and reinstall it, then reinstall the heaterbox.

Once the car is on the road, you'll know it was all worth it. You cant buy envious looks.

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I know EXACTLY how you're feeling... Just this evening I was attempting to install a new tie rod assembly....so I could drive her to work tomorrow....Easy task, right?.....It's getting HOT and I have few precious days when I can comfortably drive in "work" attire....I looked at my book, then the other tierod, and I STILL PUT IT IN BACKWARDS.....of course I destroyed it upon removal....My wife came out, tried to calm me down...saying..."This is supposed to be a fun and RELAXING hobby of yours...."

That's when you need to take a break and realize it's not the end of the world...

Brian

72inka

Man, can I relate. As others have said, just take your time and walk away if you have to, believe me even a couple of days away can make all the difference.

For me, when I rush I break stuff. The only problem is that lately it always seems I have to rush. I remember replacing my transmission and having to take it out like 3 or 4 times because it just wouldn't line up. And a host of other examples.

Don't worry, just step away and it will all come back and be fine.

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

One of the great things about '02 folks is how many are really unconcerned about the perfection the car. Nearly everyone has had a car "in progress" at some point so there is probably great understanding of an incomplete restoration. How about just getting it road worthy, driving to NC, enjoying the event, and pick up where you left off when you get home, re-invigorated by a weekend of '02 goodness? Good luck.

Roger

Roger,

I completely agree. When I was younger I am sure I wouldn't have but life is too short and you can't let pride get in the way.

I drove my '73tii to MidAmerica 02 Fest with no carpet installed and just one seat. I will have the interior finished before the V@V but I won't have the exterior painted by then. But I had such a good time at MidAmerica, learned a WHOLE lot, and made great friends, that I won't miss that opportunity in a couple of weeks.

My wife said she won't ride with me to Old Salem because I had a breakdown (coil went out) on the way to Eureka Springs. But I am not going to let that spoil it for me either as I am going to fly her out. Then when she meets these other wives who rode even further, she will finally get it. And if she doesn't, that's OK too. I don't share all of her passions.

As Roger said, get it road worthy, and hit the road. Great people sharing the same great passion.

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm just glad that my project car is no longer also my daily driver. When I was younger I had a series of cars where if I wanted to do something over the weekend the car had to be up and running Monday morning. That led to rushed work and (sometimes) poor results. Now, I can leave the car indefinitely, and then make sure I do it right (or get it done right by someone who knows more than I do).

One of the great things about '02 folks is how many are really unconcerned about the perfection the car. Nearly everyone has had a car "in progress" at some point so there is probably great understanding of an incomplete restoration.

yeah... this past weekend I met up with the same guys in Dayton, with ugliness and rust exposed by the freshly removed big bumpers, a shotty guibo, brake lights that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't (that was a surprise), along with plenty of brush painted exterior work, and countless other 'flaws' that might bug some people.

Some of us have different priorities and concerns. I often do not do the 'necessary' work on my car, since my time could be better spent enjoying life in other ways. If ya did every single bit of maintenance and detail work that folks claim is required, then your life might become pretty damn boring.

Don't sweat the details, just take car of what matters to you.

I don't know the hang-ups on your project, but just think about what could get it into decent running condition but nowhere near concours quality, throw crap together, and run with it. But if you don't feel like you'd have enough time to do that comfortably, then screw it, relax and enjoy yourself instead.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

When you finally accept the reality that it "just isn't going to make it", you will start to relax and enjoy the work again. Keep chipping away at it, but also do something else for awhile. Call some 02 friends that are still going on the caravan and event, and hitch a ride with them and enjoy the weekend. It is really about the people, and that many miles with someone to talk to about life and 02s, can be almost as much fun as driving.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Yeah, there's been a lot of that around here this spring, too...

'Ahh, I've got about as much time as I need to do this'

means all hell's going to break loose...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

me that patience is a requirement with old (and sometimes new) cars.

Too many times I've broken something important or difficult to replace because I was rushing the job. Sometimes I still do, but I'm learning.

Restoring my woody wagon, I took four months to dry bend some wood moulding so it would fit around the rear wheel wells. Didn't break a single piece!

Bottom line, when you get frustrated, just walk away for awhile. This is a hobby and supposed to be relaxing! If the car's driveable for V in V, great. If not, there's next year, or join our caravan in a newer car. You're still most welcome.

Two years ago I left for V in V with 70 miles on a new engine and 5 speed. Made it too (and back!)

cheers, and hope to see you Friday 23 May at 0730.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite