• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

metal chunk in the oilpan help on id

eaker02

74tii- Since had the head at the shop, decided to change oil pan gasket. Was able to raise the motor high enough to get the pan out, when I looked inside found this chunk of metal.. Looked all up inside the block and didn't see anything broke. Any idea what this may be?

Machine shop did find a hair line crack between 2 & 3

Don't know if it's something new, old. Not that it mattered here but is there suppose to be a magnet in the bottom of the pan? More pics near the bottom.

Thanks

post-8166-13667589815473_thumb.jpg

post-8166-13667589816381_thumb.jpg

post-8166-13667589817282_thumb.jpg

H-S!

that looks like the head of a rod bolt!

I was trying to make it look like a lash adjuster...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

From looking on a couple parts web sites, that does look similar.. If this is what it is, can they just break like that ? If this is what it is, can I just replace it or the pair of bolts? Will crawl back under the car this weekend and look again, try to get some better lighting bcecause nothing just stood out last night.

Still would like to get any other ideas as two what it is.. Thought maybe it was some part of a bearing, but due ot the course metal, don't think it is..

Thanks

Ron

Photos of unknown pieces should be taken with a ruler next to it. Can you do that? If the rod bolt was turned out of place while it was tightened it could snap part of the head off.

Also, whether it is magnetic helps also. Got a magnet?

Are the fractured surfaces old or fresh fractures?

If it is a rod bolt, I'd say no because the bolts are pressed in the rod. You will risk damaging the crank journal by messing with it. If it worked this long I'd leave it alone and try not to be doing a lot of redlining!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

thanks for the reply, now that I'm home, yes it is magentic. suprisenly, didn't look like it would be. This is measuring a hair over 1/2"

that was my next question, if it was part of the head bolt and since been able to read some archives, Can I leave it alone? Pros & cons

thanks again.

post-8166-1366758983435_thumb.jpg

post-8166-1366758983847_thumb.jpg

post-8166-13667589842737_thumb.jpg

post-8166-13667589846447_thumb.jpg

couple of comments on your second set of photos:

1/2 inch is a rather large piece.

the fracture surface is brittle in nature, suggesting a cast microstructure.

the segment shown on its side with the ruler shows what appears to be original tooling marks, possibly single point cutter. compare this with the shiny smear on the fracture surface, indicative of a recent event.

is the crankshaft forged? i don't think they are.

i'd be looking for a missing piece from the engine block casting or the crankshaft.

just my guess from this vantage point

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I wonder if it's a chip from the front crank hub. Perhaps it was damaged during previous removal or installation - they ARE a tight fit. A quick pull of the hub will tell ya'. If the woodruff key was wankered - it could easily fracture a chunk out of the hub, that would look very much like your shrapnel.

HTH!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Funny you mention that. The car didn't run when I got it and at one time when I was going to turn the nut on the crank to get the #1 piston TDC, found there was NO nut on the crank and the pulley was on by a one bolt. I could actully pull the front hub forward about a 1/2" inch.

I did put the nut on the crank and it seems to be tight now, but thought that was very strange.

Next question, If this is what it is, Is there any danger? I should be getting the head back early next week and ready to put it all back together.

Do you think it would be ok? Any advice? Could that piece fall into the oilpan?

Thanks

Ron

is the crankshaft forged? i don't think they are.

Actually, I think they are.... atleast thats what people have said in the past.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I'm missing something. I don't see how something around the woodruff key (which is outside of the front crank seal) gets inside the oil pan.

It looks like a piece of a wrist pin to me. Then again, that should never come out of the cylinder, so that doesn't make sense...

You checked all of your main bearing caps and rod end caps when you had the pan off, right?

Good Luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I did check, but it was at night and light probably wasn't the best. Feel like I need to remove the pan again to re-check.

Hate to get the head back, get all together and not be able to drive her.

Don't think while I was taking the head off that something would have broke and fell in or even jacking the motor up to change the oil pan gasket. since I haven't even drove it yet, not sure if it's been in there for a while or something I did, but can't see what it was.

Thanks and will probably pull the pan back off and look, if I don't see anything, but cross the ole fingers.

ron