• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heres a strange one for you!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My throttle got stuck open on my 76 2002. Its all stock 80,000 og miles. Runs strong, everything works. However when it was stuck open it made a strange grinding sound so I pulled over, at the same time noticing the turn signals, and windshield wipers didn't work. Horn didn't work either. Ofcourse I started checking other electrical components when the first two quit. After I figured out where the grinding came from, (the carb) I unstuck the throttle and all electrical components work once again. Any insight on this or is it a strange coincedence? Help me with my spelling also if anybody has the heart.

Rusty pedal boxes are known to have sticky throttles. 76's had the most problems in this area due to poor drainage. I assume the car was or is still in the rust belt. If not, you should check the links at the carb for freedom of motion and look at the return spring if there or not.

On the other hand; having an electrical issue that seams to be related, perhaps one of the under dash/ engine bay wires has gotten entangled in your throttle and pulled thus exposing a short?

I dunno, just a thought. Stranger things have happened.

But what do I know

this shows a tii - but it's still the same as your carb'd model=

open the hood work yout throttle linkage thru

it's full travel and find where wiring is touching.

are you missing return springs ?

One at the fire wall

One down on the side of the pedal box seen from the outside

On the carburetor

Get lubricating......

your brake linkage will imitate your throttle soon

And as noted above - WHY DID IT STICK ?

That Can Kill You !.

Fix it TODAY.

02tiifuelcontrollinkagesetup.jpg

02pedalbrakegas.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

KUDOS TO CD! Thank you for these terrific diagrams. You must be very good with autocad or something. You are very talented and thoughtful. Thank you!

You must be very good with autocad or something.

He works at a BMW dealer, if memory serves. I think those diagrams are a perk of the job and access to the factory manuals, or the result of lots of gleaning over the years. Or both. Whatever--I appreciate them too!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

It's a longshot, but see if your ignition stuck in the start position. All systems like wipers and blinkers are disabled to save power from the battery and use for the starter. Grinding could have been the bendix in the start position on the flywheel

Jim

'73 Malaga #2590259 - almost done!

Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots