• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side Draft Mikuni 38/38 Question

merek22

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything, although I might just have used the wrong words, but I am installing a pair of dual sidedraft mikuni solex carbs, and there is a tube from radiator to engine with a metal part fixed to the engine... With the new carbs (as opposed to the 32/36?) the manifold does not fit with the metal part. On the current downdraft manifold, there is a notch in it to fit half a bolt, for whatever reason, and same with the new carbs, but they just don't fit. Any suggestions?

I will try to have pictures up soon, because that was kind of confusing, and I can't think of the right word for "metal part" (its just an intermediary between radiator and engine).

Thanks, Merek

_ _

'75 2002

'75 2002

Guest Anonymous

With the new intake for your side drafts you will have no room for the old mechanical fuel pump so an electrical unit is in store for your car. a pressure regulator may also be required but probably not if you go to a Volks beetle store and get one to fit the sollex old bug carb.

Next the funny connection has to do with the splitter pipe on the head that you attach the upper radiator hose to. The best thing to do is get a similar part from a 320i that only has the upper radiator hose and the other opening to the front and no backward facing ports. That way the side draft manifold will fit. The splitter hole that is half on the manifold and half on the splitter pipe is fit around the front stud. As things usually are they will be slightly different in thickness so the nut with a washer under it wont securely compress both parts. I cut a washer in half and fit it under the intact washer to shim it to put pressure on both parts or you can grind the thicker one down to match the other.

I use the smaller nuts (12mm wrench)to hold on the manifold so the wrench will fit in the reduced space on the manifold. On the split location I use a full size nut to help span the split.

The linkage is probably the only part on the carb that will be either worn or cracked and that is because it has plastic parts. Don't despair a web site MOTORCYCLECARBS.COM, inc can probably help you out (770-974-8851)

have fun I run PH44's on my 2.3L 160hp MM motor and it runs sweet. had the carbs on a 1600 for almost 20 years. Beautifully built units and last forever.

And if you get the late 320/ E30 neck, it is tilted forward for

a lot more clearance back there.

And has holes for at least 3- maybe 4- temp senders.

So you can have many temperature gauges...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL