• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How-to identify Tii struts?

djm1968

These struts came off Mark B's Lemons tii. they were probably replaced at some point due to the front end collision Jim M had with the car in the 80's.

so i wonder if there was an "early" and a "late" tii strut. jimg's were from a 74. possibly the later or replacement struts had thicker center section?

anyone know? anyone with an early tii have a pic of their axle?

2xM3

hmmmmm, so i wire brushed through grease and paint to get to the part numbers on the tube.

both had same numbers on them. neither number matches part number in realoem for tii strut. must be supplier numbers. where would a bmw part number be stamped?

1 102 443 1

and both said "BOGE" in big letters. was Sachs a sub-contractor for BOGE?

2xM3

The spindle part of the strut (base) is stamped with another number and weird squarish logo.

Read upside-down as seen on the portion hiding behind the strut tube:

One strut stamped with 12445.19

The other one has 12445.20 (very hard to tell on this one)

Could be the stamping series?? Who knows.. might not matter at all.

Also: BEARING DUST CAPS

tii dust cap: 47.3mm outside diameter x 20mm deep (to lip)

std. cap: 39.88mm outside diameter x 14mm deep (to lip)

The tii cap can slip over a standard cap

Continuing with the original graphic provided above...

Measurement A - across the top: 3.25"

Measurement C - along the sides: 3.5"

Measurement B - across the bottom: 4.25"

Sign me: Never satisfied by the little details

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Juat go to RealOem and look at the wheel bearing size designation. The inside diameter of both the inner and outer bearing should be close to the spindle OD in those same areas. The 02 size is different.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 1 month later...

ok. so in the interest of science, i have now accumlated six tii struts in the last few weeks. still wondering about the reason for the different design axles on them. it is not because of different manufacturers.

2012-10-28_15-33-20_938.jpg

from left to right....

two struts from unk car. both have "narrow" axles. both boge. both say made in "west germany"

two struts from bmwextremguy's rusty tii race car. one has narrow axle, one has fat axle. both boge. both say made in "west germany".

two struts from paul w's old 73 tii. both had been replace. one still had bmw part sticker on it. both have fat axles. both say made in "germany" not "west germany".

other than the axle thickness in the middle portion, they are all identical.

so. my guess is that there was a production mod made at some point in time and the fat ones are the newer BOGE design.

• Like 1

2xM3

• 6 years later...

This thread is almost old enough to drive, but does anyone have images of the measurement points talked about on Page 1? Trying to ID my struts to order bearings. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1969 2002

Doubles as a work bench and lunch table

26 minutes ago, Dake said:

This thread is almost old enough to drive, but does anyone have images of the measurement points talked about on Page 1? Trying to ID my struts to order bearings. Thanks.

Sorry, no photo! Pretend you are about to bolt a caliper to a strut (one upper and one lower bolt). Measure the distance center-to-center for the bolt holes you’ll be using. If tii strut, 3.5” on center, if non-tii strut, about 3” on center.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you! Turns out mine are standard 2002 struts at 3".

I'm sure this new photo will help others as this thread is the first Google result for anything related to identifying your struts. Cheers

1969 2002

Doubles as a work bench and lunch table