• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1976 Mintgrun Begins

Poon

Well I finally decided to start a project blog, to keep track of things being done to the car. Bought the car in Febuary of 2008, and have used the car as my daily driver since then. The car is mostly stock, with the exception of an electric fuel pump, and soon to be new sound system and center console.

Anyways here are some pics, and I'll post updates as I go along.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

Very nice. What do you plan on doing to it?

Well it's my daily driver so nothing too drastic at the moment. Right now I'm just planning on refurbishing things as I go. I restored my tail lights, following keith's method on my2002tii.com. Here are some pics.

Photobucket

Pulling off the tail light lens uncovered tired old reflectors.

Photobucket

Drowning the gasket in armour all to make it soft and usable

Photobucket

Removal of tail lights.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Masked off electrical terminals, and painted.

Photobucket

The key ingrediants

Photobucket

Restored tail light goes in

Photobucket

My spaghetti seals were shot, so I ordered new ones from Bav. Auto. $12 each for just a little strip. Yikes!

Photobucket

New seal goes in nicely

Photobucket

All finished, and ready for the tail light to be replaced.

Photobucket

Next step is probrably to finish my center console. I bought some vinyl for it, and hopefully will have it done in a week or so. Also am going to pick up a set of E30 14'' bbs basket weaves for it later this week.

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

Yeah, I'm sure there is a cheaper alternative with some generic piece of rubber/foam type material. The paint is pretty cheap as well. Definitely worth the upgrade, it's way better. I forgot to take before and after pics, which was kind of stupid of me, but I can assure you, it makes a big difference.

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

Just picked up some E30 14'' BBS wheels.

Not 100% sure what size tire I need, but pretty sure it's 195/60/14? Can anyone confirm this?

Anyways, I'm pretty pleased with them, minor curbage on only 2 of the wheels. If I get new rubber, I might have them refurbished.

Photobucket

Photobucket

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

• 1 month later...

Well I havn't really done much to the car lately, but one of the headlights burnt out, so since I was going to be replacing at least one I figured I might as well replace both with some Hella H4's.

I ordered the lights through Bav. Auto.

Photobucket

Taking out the old lights was pretty simple, but some of the screws were a little siezed.

Photobucket

Putting it back together, all the screws got a little grease to prevent them from seizing in the future.

Photobucket

I just did one side at a time, just to make things simple. *Note, when you remove the grills DO NOT put them on the floor, put them on a table,bench something off the ground. I almost stepped on one of mine, and it's very easy to forget about them, when they're on the ground!*

Photobucket

All done! Pretty nice upgrade over the stock lights. I tried to take before and after photo's, but it was really hard to tell the difference from the pictures.(I think because of how bright it was outside). The lights are definitely bright than stock.

Photobucket

I also scored a set of rear 6 series seats, and some thrashed recaro's. The back seats are red, but I'm probably going to dye them black. Still not sure what to do with the recaro's, especially in the condition they're in.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the list of things to do are:

-Install new high amp alternator

-Finish wrapping center console it vinyl

-Install sound deadening (waiting on carpet)

-Install speakers, amp and deck

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had some spare time today, so after a quick wash I thought I'd make a new parcel tray.

Since I'm changing my interior to black, I still wanted to keep all my original interior in case I ever wanted to change back. Rather than try and dye my parcel tray I thought I would make a new one.

I used 1/4inch wood, some vinyl from a local fabric store, and a million staples. It was pretty easy, but time consuming.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I used my old tray as a guide to trace out a new one, as well as to follow the method for doing the corners.

Photobucket

My lazy helper

Photobucket

All done but a little dusty.

Photobucket

I also picked up some Euro turn signals (thanks blunt!) And my carpet from only02 arrived. The carpet isn't as bad as some people think it is, but it's definitely no 700 dollar set. I figured if I'm not going to buy an expensive carpet, I'll at least get a really nice set of coco mats. That's what you'll see mostly anyways.

Before the carpet and dynomat goes in, the front windshield + gasket needs to be replaced. I just need to pick a good time to do it to repair a bit of rust along the top where the gasket has cracked. It's my daily driver, so this will be kind of difficult.I have a new windshield as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit